Elm sighting

Tim Stewart

Sep 3, 2015, 8:27:26 AM9/3/15
to Elm Discuss
Bruce Eckel (written landmark books on languages since C++) is on the case:

... near the bottom. I commented on HN and got a couple replies about Nim, none yet about Elm:

(Is sightings a thing with Elm? Excuse me if its not, but if so its good to have a thread for it.)

Max Goldstein

Sep 3, 2015, 8:48:14 AM9/3/15
to Elm Discuss
I went to a JS meetup last night and Elm was mentioned briefly in a talk on React. I smiled when the tangram logo appeared on the screen, and may have gone "wooo" when he mentioned it.

He also mentioned Cycle.js, an FRP library I had not previously heard about. Also on my radar are RxJS (reactive extensions) and bacon.js. The JavaScript world moves fast: the React community is far bigger than the Elm community, despite being a library compared to a language. Hot swapping, or "hot loading" as he called it, is coming the JavaScript and already works for React because of its mostly immutable methodology.

The good news that a JS dev can tell a room of JS devs that functional programming makes for good code quality, and that shared mutable state is evil, and no one bats an eye. Another talk was on linters, the idea being that people like static analysis that finds errors for them. I think a lot of the semantics of good JavaScript are heading towards where Elm is. And that's great!

Noah Hall

Sep 3, 2015, 9:19:05 AM9/3/15
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I went to React-conf and there was a lot of people discussing Elm
there. Even if they weren't directly talking about Elm, there was a
lot of clear cross-pollination. For example, one of the projects shown
was a debugger with time varying debugging, very similar to
http://elm-lang.org/blog/time-travel-made-easy. The example the
developer used was even Tetris, too.

Michael Bylstra

Sep 11, 2015, 12:05:45 AM9/11/15