Charty: SVG charts library (feedback request)

Juan Edi

Apr 22, 2017, 3:04:24 PM4/22/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Today I released a library to generate SVG markup for charts.

It certainly worked for my particular use case but I'd love to hear if it works for you or if I'm missing something.
There is still work to do regarding API design and features, but I thought I'd better release soon and get some feedback from all of you.

Thanks!

Matthieu Pizenberg

May 2, 2017, 10:47:54 PM5/2/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi Juan,

I just checked the demo app and the two plots there look great. But what is it in elm-plot or elm-visualization (to cite the two most known elm libraries for plots) that you felt was missing to start a new chart lib? Or did you know about these ?

Juan Edi

May 4, 2017, 11:53:21 AM5/4/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthieu!

I guess I decided to write my own tool for different reasons. I had checked other libraries before but none of them seem to be exactly what I was looking for (be it because of looks, API, available charts, whatever). To be completely honest, I also felt what I needed was pretty simple and decided to write it myself and learn a bit about SVG along the way. After that, I was really happy with the results and decided to share it as a library. There was a similar question in the reddit post if you want to look at it.

I hadn't heard about these particular libraries until after publishing Charty, and I believe they look really good. I am going to add some more features to Charty because my original use case justifies them, and was planning to do further work on it only as long as community reception demands it, since it makes no sense to write code that no one will use :-)

Thanks for writing!

Juan.