Elm on fully distributed back-end? Meet Elmchemy. Elm for Erlang VM

Krzysztof Wende

Apr 27, 2017, 4:42:38 PM4/27/17
to Elm Discuss
Hello there everyone

I think my project is ready enough to share it with you all.

I'm a diehard longtime Erlang / Elixir programmer, and I always searched for a way to write static typing for Erlang.
After 5th attempts to implement Hindley-Milner on Elixir's AST I decided that it's time to try something else.

So here it is:

https://www.reddit.com/r/elm/comments/67v2so/elm_on_fully_distributed_backend_meet_elmchemy/

Elm to Elixir compiler.
Please enjoy, and please contribute!

Constructive critique welcome

PS. Yes. I am aware of alpaca-lang and purerl. I'll gladly answer why I'm not satisfied enough with these to anyone wondering

Evan

Apr 27, 2017, 4:50:30 PM4/27/17
to Elm Discuss
I'm not sure I understand exactly what this has to do with Elm.

Based on this example this appears to be a transpiler that uses syntax similar to Elm.

For example:
  1. In the pattern matches, you pattern match on tuples without the open and close parens. So this is not valid Elm code.
  2. It appears that the ffi function is allowing you to bring in impure Elixir functions. So now effects are not captured in the types.
The second one in particular is such a divergence from the core design of Elm that I don't see how it makes sense to call it by the same name. So again, this does not appear to be related to Elm except in that the syntax is similar. Is that a correct assessment?

Evan

Apr 27, 2017, 8:54:32 PM4/27/17
to Elm Discuss
Between /r/elm and slack, we came to a nice conclusion on all this :)

Just wanted to let folks know here!