Elm Video Tutorial

Mike Clark

Aug 27, 2015, 8:12:53 PM8/27/15
to Elm Discuss
Just wanted to let you all know about my 2-hour video tutorial aimed at helping folks learn Elm and understand how everything fits together:

  https://pragmaticstudio.com/elm

It's designed specifically for developers new to both Elm and functional programming, so it’s likely far too basic for folks on this list who are already experienced Elm or Haskell programmers.

But if you bump into developers who are curious about Elm or want to learn how to start building web apps using the Elm architecture, I’d love to help them get started on right foot. The tutorial takes a practical, step-by-step approach to help devs up the learning curve. And hopefully it inspires them to dig deeper into Elm and try it on their own projects.  :-)

I'm currently working on a follow-up tutorial that focuses specifically on signals, mailboxes, and ports that I hope to release in the next few weeks.

Thanks very much!

Mike

Ero Karlsen

Aug 28, 2015, 2:02:12 AM8/28/15
to Elm Discuss
I just took this course. It's a very clear and well laid out introduction. Recommended!

Alex Kelley

Aug 28, 2015, 10:10:17 AM8/28/15
to Elm Discuss
This tutorial is well thought out and produced. I'm sure it shaved several weeks off my Elm learning curve. Excited to hear there's going to be a sequel!

Denis Ricard

Aug 28, 2015, 10:51:25 AM8/28/15
to Elm Discuss
Same here. It's actually what made me aware of Elm (through Prag's mailing list). It's a great introduction to Elm and it helped me make sense of these new-to-me concepts. I look forward to more tutorials on Elm!

Mike Clark

Aug 31, 2015, 11:37:55 AM8/31/15
to Elm Discuss
Thanks for the vote of confidence, folks! I appreciate your kind words about the course.

dedo

Sep 1, 2015, 10:37:20 PM9/1/15
to Elm Discuss
Will the follow-up tutorial explain the working & usage of tasks & effects as well?

Julian Jelfs

Sep 5, 2015, 1:15:35 PM9/5/15
to Elm Discuss
Loved the first tutorial but I'm really struggling with the "reactive" part. Signals, Mailboxes, Addresses, ports - just can't quite get how they all fit together so I have high hopes for the second part of the tutorial.

Mike Clark

Sep 5, 2015, 2:17:49 PM9/5/15
to Elm Discuss
Sorry for the delay responding! Tasks and effects are outside the scope of the next course (I have a separate course in mind for that), but it's great to hear that you're interested in more learning resources on those topics. :-)

Mike Clark

Sep 5, 2015, 2:24:13 PM9/5/15
to Elm Discuss
Thanks, Julian! In the upcoming course, I work through a variety of examples, building up from the fundamentals so you see how everything fits together. I had the same struggles you mentioned when I was starting out, and I designed the course to help answer the questions I had. Hopefully it will help you, too.  :-)
Message has been deleted

willem.vanhe...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2015, 2:42:09 PM9/17/15
to Elm Discuss
I'm following Mike Clarks video tutorial and I can warmly recommend it. It has helped me a great deal in understanding Elm!

Alan Gardner

Sep 18, 2015, 1:16:55 AM9/18/15
to Elm Discuss
Thanks so much for the Elm series of courses, Mike. After the first course I spent a bit of time with the Elm Architecture Tutorial, the Reactivity page and the Interop page, but I was still struggling a bit to grasp the concepts. I was playing about with some side projects to try and grok it some more. However your Signals course has been fantastic for shining a light on how things interconnect.

Can I place a cheeky +1 on a course about Tasks/Effects? :)

Mike Clark

Sep 19, 2015, 10:35:12 AM9/19/15
to Elm Discuss
Thanks, Alan! I'm glad to hear that the courses have been helpful to you. It's also good to hear what you'd like to learn next.  :-)

Mike

Mike Clark

Sep 19, 2015, 10:35:35 AM9/19/15
to Elm Discuss
Thanks, Willem!

Tina Tsui

Sep 24, 2015, 9:33:18 AM9/24/15
to Elm Discuss
Hi Mike,

Thanks for making these videos. I took both series and found it very clear, very concise and extremely helpful.  Highly recommended!! I'm looking forward to seeing a series on Tasks.

Best,
Tina

Mike Clark

Oct 12, 2015, 12:25:01 PM10/12/15