Edit New issue Support for unicode "variables"?

Matthias Sieber

Jan 20, 2017, 12:25:32 AM1/20/17
to Elm Discuss

In certain situations, I've found for me, that choosing a constant/variable name using characters like the kanji "角" instead of the english word "angle" is useful.

I've found that I can not do this using elm 0.18.0.

Is this something that could be of use to the elm community? As I've just started exploring elm, I'm wondering what my next steps would be to be able to actively contribute to this improvement.

Joey Eremondi

Jan 20, 2017, 12:59:09 AM1/20/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
So, I'm all for internationalization and full Unicode support.

But separately, is Japanese the primary language of you or those who will be reading and maintaining your code? Because if not, this seems like a really bad naming practice. It greatly hurts the readability of your code to those who don't understand the symbolism, the same way that single letter names or complex acronyms and abbreviations do.

Matthias Sieber

Jan 22, 2017, 4:11:55 PM1/22/17
to Elm Discuss
Joey, I agree with your concerns. You're basically saying to find a common language among all the people involved. I second that it'd be bad practice to make meaning or intent of code harder to understand than it needs to be. The situations where I use Japanese in my code is limited to stand-alone prototypes that propose a new concept.

Now, if I were to be in a environment where the primary language is Japanese, things were a little bit different. The goals, as you have pointed out, are still the same: Full internationalization and full unicode support.

How do we get there?