2 yr. quest to learn front-end programming

douglas smith

Oct 24, 2016, 12:34:33 PM10/24/16
to Elm Discuss
Hey everyone-

Over the past 10 years I have causally studied various programming languages. For personal interest more than anything.   I have never written more then really basic code. I am 60 years old and over the next 2 years I am determined to learn enough about elm-lang to be employable as an entry-level coder.  It has been very enjoyable following Evans well written guide. I seem to be understanding and appreciating  the simplicity and power of functions. I think Evan and the whole elm-lang community is in an excellent position to bring powerful, flexible and "learn-able" tools to an otherwise very large and complicated JS ecosystem.  I am willing to bet that elm-lang skills will be in demand when I am ready. My question would be: What would be a good basis of knowledge -say in the first 4 to 6 months for me to get a grasp of?

Thanks, Doug

some homework:
embedded elm counter in html
https://dougie-.github.io/

Duane Johnson

Oct 24, 2016, 12:50:15 PM10/24/16
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com

John Orford

Oct 24, 2016, 1:22:52 PM10/24/16
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Doug,

I have been rereading the Evan's elm tutorial. Actually I don't think I read it before, so it has been enjoyable.

I know Elm pretty OK, so my opinion about the tutorial is...

Elm is a bit like Mario Kart.

The basics are easy, and when you read the tutorial, you have covered a good 90% of everything you need to know.

But those basics are also deep.

A week to learn and a life time to master.

Take your time, do every exercise in the tutorial, and you will be in great shape.

Enjoy.

John