Best practices for Elm Hackathon style meetups? Asking for Berlin meetup on Feb 23rd.

Daniel Bachler

Feb 12, 2016, 4:49:14 AM2/12/16
to Elm Discuss
Hi!

I am one of the co-organizers of the first Elm meetup in Berlin (http://www.meetup.com/berlin-elm-hackathon/events/228432025/). We really liked the idea of doing a Hackathon style meetup instead of having a bunch of talks, but none of us have ever attended such a meetup. So I have this question for the elm community:

What are the best practices for an Elm Hackathon meetup?

Does it work best if people just sit together and hack on their own ideas? Or is it better to suggest a small problem that everyone tries to solve?

Does it work better if you encourage mixing of skill levels or is the effect for all members bigger if people group roughly by skill and aim for different points in the complexity space of the whatever they are working on?

These are just the questions I could think of, but I am sure people on this list have valuable advice outside of those, so please reply with anything that comes to your mind!

Thanks!
Daniel