Why aren't doc PRs merged?

Eric Thomas

Oct 17, 2016, 7:58:25 PM10/17/16
to Elm Discuss
At both https://github.com/evancz/guide.elm-lang.org/pulls and https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-lang.org/pulls there's a decent number of PRs that would be useful if merged.
A lot of these are simple gotchas that can save a beginner a lot of time.

Peter Damoc

Oct 18, 2016, 3:42:04 AM10/18/16
to Elm Discuss
Evan works by batching requests and then handling multiple relevant ones in one go. So, some of the pulls might get through at one point.

Also, the guide is basically Evan's book. The book is in a state of flux, changing and being rewritten. Pull requests make less sense there.

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Eric Thomas <eric.l....@gmail.com> wrote:
At both https://github.com/evancz/guide.elm-lang.org/pulls and https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-lang.org/pulls there's a decent number of PRs that would be useful if merged.
A lot of these are simple gotchas that can save a beginner a lot of time.

There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/

Eric Thomas

Oct 18, 2016, 9:51:23 AM10/18/16
to Elm Discuss
Why is it that the language is entirely dependent on one person? I get that Evan is the BDFL but there should be a core community that can approve these without his approval.
As for the book, I do remember that he had an issue with people modifying the book from his keynote at Elm-Conf. However, this is the primary learning resource people will use to pick up Elm. Nobody wants to sift through hundreds of 3rd party blog posts, etc. Elm's success is dependent on how good the official guides are.
If Evan does not want people to make changes to the book, then he should host it on his own website.

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 1:42:04 AM UTC-6, Peter Damoc wrote:
Evan works by batching requests and then handling multiple relevant ones in one go. So, some of the pulls might get through at one point.

Also, the guide is basically Evan's book. The book is in a state of flux, changing and being rewritten. Pull requests make less sense there.
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Eric Thomas <eric.l....@gmail.com> wrote:
At both https://github.com/evancz/guide.elm-lang.org/pulls and https://github.com/elm-lang/elm-lang.org/pulls there's a decent number of PRs that would be useful if merged.
A lot of these are simple gotchas that can save a beginner a lot of time.

Duane Johnson

Oct 18, 2016, 1:08:06 PM10/18/16
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM, Eric Thomas <eric.l....@gmail.com> wrote:
Why is it that the language is entirely dependent on one person? I get that Evan is the BDFL but there should be a core community that can approve these without his approval.
As for the book, I do remember that he had an issue with people modifying the book from his keynote at Elm-Conf. However, this is the primary learning resource people will use to pick up Elm. Nobody wants to sift through hundreds of 3rd party blog posts, etc. Elm's success is dependent on how good the official guides are.
If Evan does not want people to make changes to the book, then he should host it on his own website.

I admit to being torn by Evan's objectives. I do understand the importance of ownership and authorship--it's his work and his voice. On the other hand, I agree that the community's needs are sometimes in conflict with an ownership model.

Would it make sense to fork the guide and host a "community edition" that incorporates feedback quickly while Evan pursues his (sometimes separate) goals?

Shump

Oct 18, 2016, 6:17:41 PM10/18/16
to Elm Discuss
I believe there already is a "community edition" over at https://www.elm-tutorial.org/en/

Frederick Yankowski

Oct 19, 2016, 9:59:48 AM10/19/16
to Elm Discuss

Also, contributions to the Elm FAQ are welcome.

It’s a community document hosted as an elm-community repo at GitHub.

Most PRs to that repo are merged quickly as long as they don’t duplicate other material already in the FAQ document.

Richard Feldman

Oct 19, 2016, 10:50:01 PM10/19/16
to Elm Discuss
Evan's elm-conf keynote may help clear up some of the "why" questions. :)

Rupert Smith

Oct 20, 2016, 5:47:40 AM10/20/16
to Elm Discuss
On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 11:17:41 PM UTC+1, Shump wrote:
I believe there already is a "community edition"  over at https://www.elm-tutorial.org/en/

Does anybody know if pull requests are being incorporated for elm-lang.org?

In particular, as a newbie I have noticed that the syntax guide does not document all of the syntax...