elm-make commands fails on Freebsd while working on MacOS

Julien Wazné

Nov 27, 2017, 4:09:45 PM11/27/17
to Elm Discuss

Hello,

I've having a problem to compile ELM code on Freebsd server while everything is OK on my laptop (MacOS Sierra).

Here's the command that fails on freebsd : elm-make --yes --output ../static/vendor/app.js App.elm

The error message is :

I cannot find module 'Users.Model'.
Module 'Types' is trying to import it.
Potential problems could be:
* Misspelled the module name
* Need to add a source directory or new dependency to elm-package.json

Application structure looks like this:
image

users/Model.elm starts like this:
module Users.Model exposing (..)

Types.elm starts like this:
module Types exposing (..)

import Users.Model exposing (..)

elm-package.json like this:
{
"version": "1.0.0",
"summary": "helpful summary of your project, less than 80 characters",
"repository": "https://github.com/user/project.git",
"license": "BSD3",
"source-directories": [
"."
],
"exposed-modules": [],
"dependencies": {
},
"elm-version": "0.18.0 <= v < 0.19.0"
}

I've installed ELM on freebsd using the following commands:
as root
$ pkg install ghc hs-cabal-install
Change Path to PATH="$PATH:/usr/local/elm/Elm-Platform/0.18/.cabal-sandbox/bin"

$ curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/elm-lang/elm-platform/master/installers/BuildFromSource.hs > BuildFromSource.hs

$ runhaskell BuildFromSource.hs 0.18

Any help would be appreciated.

Thks !

Daniel Wehner

Nov 28, 2017, 4:57:55 AM11/28/17
to Elm Discuss
Hi!

Everytime someone has a problem with X is working on MacOS, but it is not working on Linux, my intuition is: A file/folder is named in the wrong case.
HFS+, unlike most other file systems, doesn't make a difference between lowercase and uppercase. If you look at your folder, its called "users", while the module is using "Users".

Maybe this is just a dump guess and the problem you have cannot be solved that easy :)

Julien Wazné

Nov 29, 2017, 4:01:06 PM11/29/17
to Elm Discuss
Thanks a lot Daniel !

That was indeed a lowercase/uppercase issue...

=> I've renamed the folder to meet the module name and all has been perfectly compiled

Daniel Wehner

Nov 30, 2017, 11:57:31 AM11/30/17
to Elm Discuss
I would recommend you to jump into slack (http://elmlang.herokuapp.com/) next time. Such questions can be potentially answered much quicker there.
Folks, especially in the beginners channel, have helped me a lot already. It is super friendly!