PSA for beginners

Peter Damoc

Sep 20, 2016, 5:52:43 AM9/20/16
to Elm Discuss
Watch Richard's talk from the elm-conf.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcgmSRJHu_8

Understanding the ideas presented there will improve your code in way that will make you want to cry with joy.

What I think Richard is doing there is a demonstration of how to take a piece of brittle Carbon and turn it into Lonsdaleite.

Thank you for your attention. :)

--
There is NO FATE, we are the creators.
blog: http://damoc.ro/

John Orford

Sep 20, 2016, 10:06:59 PM9/20/16
to Elm Discuss
Thanks, this was really good. Really good. Really really good!

Richard Feldman

Sep 21, 2016, 2:23:01 AM9/21/16
to Elm Discuss
<3 <3

:)

Emmanuel Rosa

Sep 25, 2016, 3:38:10 PM9/25/16
to Elm Discuss
Yeah, that it really good.

I also watched Richard's Side-effects as Data and had my mind blown. In fact, I was in the middle of writing a Wordpress plugin and decided to see what would happen if I tried representing the database access as data. It was actually pretty easy to do: I simply put the function arguments that would be passed to the database-manipulation functions, into an array. Then, I wrote all of the business logic based on that array of arguments. Obviously, at some point I had to produce the side-effects, but that code was minimal. I was able to keep the rest of the plugin's API side-effect free! I'm definitely going to keep playing around with that idea.