Resources guiding towards shifting to Functional Thinking

Jiggneshh Gohel

Apr 26, 2017, 6:13:13 AM4/26/17
to Elm Discuss
Hello,

I have started learning programming in Elm and gradually I am moving ahead with this following the awesome tutorial at https://www.elm-tutorial.org/en/ .

While I am onto it I got a thought that somebody like me coming from purely imperative programming background, when need to shift thinking in a functional way then are there any specific classic book resources I should refer to? I am kind of person who likes to build a strong foundation and am more inclined towards learning on the path instead of targeting just the end. So requesting to provide suggestions considering this.

I did searched on web and found various links related to few books but majority of those were either language-specific like Javascript, ML, Scheme, Erlang, Elixir, Haskell, Scala, Clojure, F# etc or mostly mathematical-notation based.  So I am really confused which ones to consider.

Thanks.

Wojciech Piekutowski

Apr 26, 2017, 6:35:48 AM4/26/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I recommend http://elmprogramming.com/. It isn't solely focused on functional programming, but has great illustrations of some concepts that could initially be hard to grasp. For example http://elmprogramming.com/string.html#filtering-a-string

Jiggneshh Gohel

Apr 26, 2017, 6:44:17 AM4/26/17
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Wojciech. http://elmprogramming.com/ really looks to be a promising resources for learning Elm.