Elm Language Server - Document and repository to coordinate and capture requirements effort

Håkon Rossebø

Sep 7, 2017, 9:21:28 AM9/7/17
to Elm Discuss
(Also posted in elm-dev) Based on previous discussions and my own experience from the vscode-elm extension, having a common language server can help improve editor support and tooling features. Currently, many editor extensions use their own parsers to support a common set of features.

I've created a repository with issues and a requirements document to capture and discuss any features here - https://github.com/hakonrossebo/elm-language-server-requirements-specification

In this document, I've also tried to collect links to all previous discussions and reference implementations.

I hope this repository can help improve the coordination of effort to improve editor and tooling support.

This is just the initial work. Please suggest any improvements in the repository issues or create PRs for the requirements document.

Roman Frołow

Sep 8, 2017, 2:42:13 PM9/8/17
to Elm Discuss
Good, by why have a document outside of a git repository?

Markdown is quite good for that and you can have precommit hook to generate toc

Vlad GURDIGA

Sep 9, 2017, 5:04:26 AM9/9/17
to Elm Discuss
This seems a lot like the thing that I have found unusually useful in TypeScript land: tsserver. Looking at that case, it seems like a language server would make for much more streamlined efforts around the language tooling, IMHO. 🤔

Just my little 2¢. 🤓

Håkon Rossebø

Sep 12, 2017, 3:52:56 AM9/12/17
to Elm Discuss
I considered both alternatives and actually started with only a markdown file on the repository. After some initial discussions, we landed on a separate Google Document for now, making it easier to write and comment directly for all. This can be changed back to a markdown document at any time if more people suggest this as a better alternative. Join in on the #elm-langauge-server Slack channel to discuss.