React for Elm programmers

Thomas Ballinger

Oct 20, 2016, 12:23:30 PM10/20/16
to Elm Discuss
Nothing came up from a cursory Google search, does anyone know of or have interest in a resource like "React for Elm Programmers?"

I've just done a few Elm projects, but now as I explore the React ecosystem I'm wishing I had access to explanations in terms of Elm concepts I'm more familiar with.

joseph ni

Oct 21, 2016, 5:48:10 PM10/21/16
to Elm Discuss
React is a view framework atop javascript, Elm is a functional programming language. imo, these are not comparable. However, redux is a uni-directional communication, immutable flux architecture inspired by TEA so you'll find these two to almost be a 1 to 1 (Actions -> Msg, Reducer -> Update, State -> Model, Thunk -> Cmd?)
I've gone the other way, from react/redux to elm and found that aspect of it the most similar.

For other things like ADTs, no null types, there is nothing afaik on the js side. Elm even breaks away from the 'reusable component' thinking which is core to react, to a 'reusable function' way of looking at things as Evan details in the guide.

ratvis

Oct 27, 2016, 10:13:11 AM10/27/16
to Elm Discuss

On Friday, October 21, 2016 at 2:48:10 PM UTC-7, joseph ni wrote:
React is a view framework atop javascript, Elm is a functional programming language. imo, these are not comparable. However, redux is a uni-directional communication, immutable flux architecture inspired by TEA so you'll find these two to almost be a 1 to 1 (Actions -> Msg, Reducer -> Update, State -> Model, Thunk -> Cmd?)
I've gone the other way, from react/redux to elm and found that aspect of it the most similar.

I just wish reducers returned state AND a Cmd.