Install mix tasks globally?

Ringo De Smet

Apr 15, 2015, 9:11:52 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is it possible to install an archive of mix tasks globally, so for all users at once?

Ringo

José Valim

Apr 15, 2015, 9:15:15 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Mix archives are expected to be placed at the location specified by MIX_ARCHIVES environment variable. So if you configure all users to have the same MIX_ARCHIVES value, then any installed archive and the tasks in them (like hex and phoenix.new) will be available to all users.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Ismael Abreu

Apr 15, 2015, 9:17:08 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
If it’s possible it’s not documented. https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/blob/v1.0.4/lib/mix/lib/mix/tasks/archive.install.ex#L1

But you can create a script to install it for each user with the —force option

Ringo De Smet

Apr 15, 2015, 9:18:11 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
José,

On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 15:15:15 UTC+2, José Valim wrote:
Mix archives are expected to be placed at the location specified by MIX_ARCHIVES environment variable. So if you configure all users to have the same MIX_ARCHIVES value, then any installed archive and the tasks in them (like hex and phoenix.new) will be available to all users.

OK, I'll try that.

Might be a handy addition to the docs too. :-)

Ringo

Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Apr 15, 2015, 9:54:46 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com

Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Ringo De Smet

Apr 17, 2015, 8:24:49 AM4/17/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Eric,

On Wednesday, 15 April 2015 15:54:46 UTC+2, Eric Meadows-Jönsson wrote:

Why not just take that site down? Very confusing for users not closely following up on the state of Elixir.

Ringo

José Valim

Apr 17, 2015, 3:04:41 PM4/17/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
This is my fault. I want to support readthedocs.org for guides because it has full text search and pdf documents but i never got to it. I will give it higher priority.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer