Happy Father's Day

Onorio Catenacci

Jun 19, 2016, 8:54:45 AM6/19/16
to elixir-lang-talk
I know it's off-topic but I want to wish a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads on this list. You are doing the most important job in the world!

James Gray

Jun 19, 2016, 12:07:30 PM6/19/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jun 19, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Onorio Catenacci <cate...@gmail.com> wrote:
I know it's off-topic but I want to wish a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads on this list.  You are doing the most important job in the world!

I love this message and just want to pile on!

James Edward Gray II

Uniaika

Jun 19, 2016, 6:51:05 PM6/19/16
On 06/19/2016 02:54 PM, Onorio Catenacci wrote:
You are doing the most important job in the world!

You have obviously never been a mother and maybe you should ask yours
about what her job looks like.

José Valim

Jun 20, 2016, 4:02:44 AM6/20/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
It is funny that when I first read the message I've also corrected it on my mind to "the second most". :)

It is also worth mentioning Father's (and Mother's day) are celebrated in different dates around the world. So some already celebrated and others will do it later on.

Onorio Catenacci

Jun 20, 2016, 8:03:30 AM6/20/16
to Elixir Lang Talk
I apologize if I wasn't clear.  I meant that _parenting_ is the most important job in the world--moms and dads.

--
Onorio

On Mon, Jun 20, 2016 at 4:02 AM, José Valim <jose....@plataformatec.com.br> wrote:
It is funny that when I first read the message I've also corrected it on my mind to "the second most". :)

It is also worth mentioning Father's (and Mother's day) are celebrated in different dates around the world. So some already celebrated and others will do it later on.

Uniaika

Jun 20, 2016, 8:05:02 AM6/20/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the clarification :)
Have a nice day.

Alex Shneyderman

Jun 20, 2016, 8:58:04 AM6/20/16
to elixir-lang-talk
On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 8:54:45 AM UTC-4, Onorio Catenacci wrote:
I know it's off-topic but I want to wish a Happy Father's Day to all the Dads on this list.  You are doing the most important job in the world!

Honestly, the fact that this holiday made purely for the sake of selling more stuff makes this "holiday" totally worthless (at least to me).

Father's day inspiration was Mother's day and here is what history teaches us about that holiday:

"However, Mother’s Day did not become a commercial holiday until 1908, when–inspired by Jarvis’s daughter Anna, who wanted to honor her own mother by making Mother’s Day a national holiday–the John Wanamaker department store in Philadelphia sponsored a service dedicated to mothers in its auditorium. Thanks in large part to this association with retailers, who saw great potential for profit in the holiday, Mother’s Day caught on right away. In 1909, 45 states observed the day, and in 1914, President Woodrow Wilson approved a resolution that made the second Sunday in May a holiday in honor of “that tender, gentle army, the mothers of America.”

I am all for celebrating mothers and fathers but I do not want retailers/amazon telling me when it is time to do so. Holiday spirit in general took very commercial turn in US (and for the most part Europe has followed the suit).

John W Higgins

Jun 20, 2016, 9:16:46 AM6/20/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I do find the need to maybe mention that it's really pathetic to put down single fathers whose wives walk away from their families. I would love to ask my mother what her job looked like but she walked out on my dad, myself and my 2 year old brother when I was 3 years old.

For all the stupid, idiotic, pathetic at times, things my father did - he never walked out on us. And before anyone dares mention whether or not my father did anything to cause my mother to walk out - what exactly could he have done to her that would have warranted leaving 2 pre-schoolers behind?

But I guess a sexist comment that invades my sensibilities is just fine.

Pathetic what equality and "safe spaces" and "do no harm" and "be nice to everyone" and "think of others before you post some sexist bs comment" actually means.

John W Higgins

P.S. That's my name as well attached to this - not some pathetic person that hides behind a moniker when bashing my family.

José Valim

Jun 20, 2016, 9:45:33 AM6/20/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I was just having a private conversation with someone why I dislike off-topic discussions in the mailing list. And I have mentioned exactly this example. There are not only cultural boundaries (for example, I don't celebrate father's day in June, it is often perceived as a commercial event, etc) as well as personal boundaries.

Off-topic discussions do not belong on a technical mailing list. A mailing list gives you direct access to everyone's inbox. It is a limited medium that does not allow filtering by category. Before pressing the send button, please think carefully if the message will be useful for the majority of the 2500 members that will receive it.

I will delete any off-topic discussion in the future. I will update the mailing list instructions to make such clearer.

Finally, this is a good time to remember we have a Code of Conduct. I am not linking to it as a way to shutdown the discussion or as a threat. I am linking because it does a good job on summing up what are our values:

Have a great week,

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Stefan Houtzager

Jun 20, 2016, 9:58:23 AM6/20/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
+1
Of course an elixir-lounge group could be created for this.

Kind regards,

Stefan Houtzager

Houtzager ICT consultancy & development

www.linkedin.com/in/stefanhoutzager