Elixir release package

Ben Carter

Apr 14, 2015, 2:14:05 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
At one point in time I thought I read somewhere there was a build tool that would allow you to build a full self executable with the Erlang VM bundle with your compiled application.  Has anyone else came across this situation.  I would like to push my elixir application to some servers as a single executable binary.   Any advice or help with this would be appreciated.

Ismael Abreu

Apr 14, 2015, 2:17:47 PM4/14/15
On 14 Apr 2015, at 19:14, Ben Carter <stikmanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

At one point in time I thought I read somewhere there was a build tool that would allow you to build a full self executable with the Erlang VM bundle with your compiled application.  Has anyone else came across this situation.  I would like to push my elixir application to some servers as a single executable binary.   Any advice or help with this would be appreciated.

Ismael Abreu

Apr 14, 2015, 2:18:46 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Damn it! I meant escript

Ben Carter

Apr 14, 2015, 3:14:30 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
This still has to have erlang VM installed on the server.  I thought I noticed somewhere there is an option to compile the vm with the your app.

José Valim

Apr 14, 2015, 5:06:17 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I believe you are talking about releases: https://github.com/bitwalker/exrm

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Ben Carter

Apr 14, 2015, 6:29:28 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
Thanks, Jose. That does not require the server to actually have Erlang installed before hand right it will install as needed in isolation?

José Valim

Apr 14, 2015, 7:16:15 PM4/14/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
The VM is shipped as part of the release. Everything you need will be in the release directory.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Torben Hoffmann

Apr 15, 2015, 3:36:34 AM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
The tradition in the Erlang world is to bundle the VM with the release.

It has the benefit of making sure that it will just run without requiring anything on the target machine.

If you have very frequent updates on a lot of machines you can decide to pre-install the Erlang VM on all target machines.  Then you can omit the VM from your release.

Relx (tool for building Erlang releases) has inclusion of the VM as an option. The default is to include it.

Include it. Don't worry. Be happy.

Cheers,
Torben

Ben Carter

Apr 15, 2015, 1:08:31 PM4/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I will be building that package this week and pushing to our server cluster.