Elixir on OS400 ?

António Ramos

Jan 29, 2016, 1:37:13 PM1/29/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Does elixir runs on OS400 or is there any project to make it run ?

Ruby on Rails is supported by IBM in the latest hardware.

Being Elixir a "litle" above Ruby can i expect something in the near future for OS400?

OS400+Elixir/Phoenix could be a very powerfull solution.

Regards
António

António Ramos

Jan 29, 2016, 1:37:46 PM1/29/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com

Ben Wilson

Jan 29, 2016, 1:47:24 PM1/29/16
to elixir-lang-talk
Elixir only requires erlang to run. If erlang runs on the OS 400, then elixir does. If not, then that's a matter of BEAM support for that platform.

max s

Jan 29, 2016, 2:44:06 PM1/29/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I don't know about any BEAM implementation running on OS400, but...

You might write Elixir, compile it to Erlang byte code and run that on Erjang which is an open BEAM virtual machine requiring Java 7. I believe the IBM Developer kit for Java supports that Java version (to be confirmed).

It goes without saying that this is super far-fetched :)

Max

Gumpta Shirvan

Jan 30, 2016, 3:25:46 AM1/30/16
to elixir-lang-talk
The OS/400 is posix compliant and has a c compiler.  So you might be able to compile to from sources.

The easier solution is to use LPAR to run a linux instance on the AS/400.  It however would be an expensive solution as compared to commodity hardware.  Let the AS/400 stick to running the business.  I'm unsure though if there is a DB2 connector for ECTO.

Rafał Kociszewski

Sep 6, 2016, 4:23:17 AM9/6/16
to elixir-lang-talk
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who is interested in running Elixir on IBM i :) There is tremendous potential in combining both technologies!
I will try to run Erlang VM on our test machine soon :)
Cheers
Rafał