What's the status of expm and expm.co?

Rob Lally

Apr 7, 2014, 10:27:51 PM4/7/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I was wondering what the status of expm.co is?

I ask because it is linked from the front-page of elixir-lang.org but clicking through to expm.co takes you to a page with "running on elixir-0.9.3-dev" and the "fork me on github" link takes you to a repo that hasn't had a commit in 7 months. This smells a little bit abandoned and, despite all the energy here, it doesn't suggest a "thriving community". One of the things that I found most attractive about Elixir as opposed to Erlang, and that made it an easier sell to people, was that Elixir came out of the box with a package management solution and now that foundation looks a little shaky.

If the answer is "we haven't touched it because we haven't had to, that's OK, too.

Rob.

José Valim

Apr 8, 2014, 3:55:23 AM4/8/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rob,

Eric is working on a tool called hex, which will actually solve dependencies, and we plan to announce it after v0.13 comes out. We hope it will replace expm.co.

So we should have announcements in this area soon!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Rob.

Wojciech Kaczmarek

Apr 8, 2014, 6:06:22 AM4/8/14
to elixir-lang-talk
Hi,

but then removing/changing the link on the main Elixir page wouldn't hurt anyone, would it?
I was also sure during first months of using Elixir that expm.co is the package-and-dependency-fu here..
then it occurred to me it's rather the configuration in mix.exs and virtually everyone uses the latter these days.
I guess it's better to direct people, esp. newcomers, into what's actually happening, not into what happened in the past. :)

just 2cents

Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Apr 8, 2014, 6:10:04 AM4/8/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
expm.co purpose is to serve as an index of available packages and tell you how to configure mix.exs. So it is still what is happening today.
Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Wojciech Kaczmarek

Apr 8, 2014, 12:13:18 PM4/8/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Well, that's one thing I haven't considered :)
Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Rob Lally

Apr 8, 2014, 9:15:13 PM4/8/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, José, and everyone else for the insight.

One follow on question, when you say "tool" will there be a repository as well as a tool?

The combination of mix/expm nicely mirrored the maven/repo1, lein/clojars, npm/npm.org, bundler/rubygems.org combinations that facilitated growth/sharing/collaborative-development in those worlds. I'd love to be able to retain that and avoid the "fragmented" (I tried to find a nice word and that was the best I could do) library environment that comes with Erlang.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

Rob.

José Valim

Apr 9, 2014, 1:50:32 AM4/9/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
mix will still be the main tool although hex will come with a command line tool too to help push packages and so on.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer