Deploying a multi-node Elixir cluster in something like Kubernetes

Nam Chu Hoai

Jul 24, 2016, 11:40:50 AM7/24/16
to elixir-lang-talk
Hi all,

I'm currently exploring Elixir/Phoenix in our organization and while a lot of things looks amazing, I'm struggling to find more elaborate documentation when it comes to deploying as a multi-node cluster? Most content out there is focused on either single-node deployments, or provisioning nodes manually for connectivity in a cluster. We are using tools akin to Kubernetes/Mesos where it would be trivial to bring up "nodes", but getting them to communicate seems like an exotic task for now?

Nam

OvermindDL1

Jul 25, 2016, 10:01:48 AM7/25/16
to elixir-lang-talk
What I've been doing is just trying to network node connect to a set of pre-configured nodes, if any connect then it succeeds, if all fail then it assumes that it is the first one up.

Scott Messinger

Aug 25, 2016, 10:24:58 AM8/25/16
to elixir-lang-talk
I'm struggling with the same thing. In every example I find (like Chris McCord's great article on Dockyard: https://dockyard.com/blog/2016/01/28/running-elixir-and-phoenix-projects-on-a-cluster-of-nodes), the node names are specified. In a situation where the scaling is being done automatically, how do we assign a node a unique name and then connect it to other nodes on the network?

I'm looking at us convox.com to run a set of autoscaled nodes in a virtual private cloud on AWS.

Nam Chu Hoai

Aug 25, 2016, 10:42:04 AM8/25/16
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com