Datomic (or something like it) for Elixir

Zen Savona

Nov 26, 2015, 9:52:15 AM11/26/15
to elixir-lang-talk
Hi friends,

I've been reading about Clojure and ClojureScript recently and have come across a database which is popular for these technologies called Datomic, which is JVM based.

It looks really interesting, but it's full power is limited to JVM languages as far as I'm aware (there's this, but my understanding is that much of the power comes with native datalog and lazy streaming(?) of the Datom).

Is anyone aware of any similar projects for Elixir or have any experience using Datomix via the REST API with Datomex or some other library?

Given Elixir's immutability and somewhat similar ideas to Clojure (in some areas anyway) this seems like a really good idea to me.

Thoughts?

Greg Young

Nov 26, 2015, 9:58:03 AM11/26/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Some people have been working on a native elixir client for
event-store https://github.com/exponentially/extreme
> --

Studying for the Turing test

hen...@nyh.se

Nov 29, 2015, 5:44:48 AM11/29/15
to elixir-lang-talk

Zen Savona

Nov 29, 2015, 1:43:48 PM11/29/15
to elixir-lang-talk
Yeah I know about that one Henrik, the most interesting part of Datomic is the sdk integration and datalog, which to my understanding can't be leveraged using that.

adamk...@gmail.com

Dec 4, 2015, 11:59:24 AM12/4/15
to elixir-lang-talk
It looks to me like there are an example of datalog usage right on the front page of the Datomex git repo. When you use Datomex, you are communicating over http with a Datomic peer running as a server. The peer handles the all the Datomic goodness and fully participates in the Datomic ecosystem in the same way it would do if it was embedded in a jvm application. http://docs.datomic.com/architecture.html. If I was building an Elixir app with Datomic as a backend, I would probably use Datomex. If running on the same server, the query latency would quite low, in the broader context of an http-based client-server application.