Mixing up Elixir and the JVM?

Rich Morin

Feb 26, 2015, 5:25:06 AM2/26/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
A number of interesting databases, frameworks, and other tools have
been developed on the JVM. Here are a few that I'd like to try out:

Datomic immutable graph database (http://www.datomic.com)

Jena Semantic Web framework (https://jena.apache.org)

Neo4j property graph database (http://neo4j.com)

Ptolemy II actor-oriented framework (http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu)

TinkerPop graph computing framework (http://www.tinkerpop.com)

Some of these tools have HTTP/REST/... interfaces, allowing use via
some sort of message-based interface. Even when they do, however, the
"real" API is commonly limited to JVM-resident languages. Sigh...

However, it occurs to me that Elixir might provide a convenient way to
create pleasant APIs for these sorts of tools. Some parts of the API
could be supported by HTTP calls; other parts could be handled by Elixir
processes running (via Erjang, Jinterface, etc) on the JVM.

Better yet, it should be possible to extend Mix to handle the nastier
parts of Java configuration. Leiningen already does this for Clojure,
so much of the needed research and development has already been done.

If anyone else finds these ideas interesting (or better yet, has the
chops to help out), please get in touch! Here are some relevant links:

Erjang - https://github.com/trifork/erjang/wiki

Jinterface - http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/jinterface/

Leiningen - http://leiningen.org/

-r

--
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm Rich Morin r...@cfcl.com
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume San Bruno, CA, USA +1 650-873-7841

Software system design, development, and documentation