CNG Issues With Windows and Elixir

Onorio Catenacci

Nov 29, 2015, 10:19:28 PM11/29/15
to elixir-lang-talk
Hi all,

A few folks that use Chocolatey NuGet (CNG) to install Elixir on Windows have reported some problems with 1.1.1.  I think I've seen 3 reports of issues but I know there may be others who haven't bothered to say anything as well. I've never been able to create a reproducible case to figure out what's wrong but today I was reminded that there is a step that those who are seeing problems can take to maybe get past them.  If you see a problem when trying to start iex (or mix or whatever) add c:/programdata/chocolatey/lib/Elixir/bin to your path.  This has corrected problems for me in the past.

As I say, I have yet to get a reproducible case so I don't know what I need to change but this does seem to be a viable workaround.

By the way, if anyone's found instructions on setting up a Windows VM, please contact me privately on this.  One of the problems I've had in the past is that I don't have a consistent testing environment when I make changes to the CNG package so it's tough for me to check that I haven't broken something when I make a change.  I'd like to set up a VM that I can use for testing.  I am going to try to get something a bit more consistent prior to the advent of Elixir 1.2 so I can maybe make the CNG package a bit more stable for everyone.

--
Onorio