Coverage by default

Yordis Prieto

Feb 17, 2018, 6:41:59 AM2/17/18
to elixir-lang-core
I found myself adding excoveralls in every single project that I do.

Wouldn't be better to add such of tooling by default with the testing tools?

P.S: even ex_doc is the same situation, every project I add the deps.

Louis Pilfold

Feb 17, 2018, 2:00:45 PM2/17/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yordis

As a counterpoint if this was included by default I would be removing it in every project. I would prefer a minimal base that users can add to easily.

Cheers,
Louis

Chris Keathley

Feb 18, 2018, 2:10:57 PM2/18/18
to elixir-lang-core
I don't think that every project needs to include coveralls or ex_doc. Both are easy to add after the fact if they're needed on a project.

As an alternative solution to your problem I would suggest building your own template using Dave's excellent mix_generator project: https://github.com/pragdave/mix_generator.

José Valim

Feb 20, 2018, 10:31:32 AM2/20/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Talking about excoveralls, ExUnit already ships with coverage support out of the box via Erlang/OTP's cover.

All of the mechanisms to collect metrics that excoveralls uses comes from cover and it would be fantastic if someone contributed excoveralls-like HTML pages back to OTP, with overview and navigation sidebar.

If somebody would like to do this but has trouble with getting started with the Erlang/OTP repository, please let me know and I will be glad to help.

José Valim
Founder and
Director of R&D

Yordis Prieto

Mar 3, 2018, 6:36:56 PM3/3/18
to elixir-lang-core
Jose,

I would like to try to do something if you defines what you are looking for (specially from front end code perspective).

What is missing from https://github.com/parroty/excoveralls#mix-coverallshtml-show-coverage-as-html-report ?

On Sat, Feb 17, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Yordis Prieto <yordis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found myself adding excoveralls in every single project that I do.

Wouldn't be better to add such of tooling by default with the testing tools?

P.S: even ex_doc is the same situation, every project I add the deps.

José Valim

Mar 4, 2018, 4:38:49 AM3/4/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Awesome Yordis.

Yes, that's exactly it. If you run `mix test --cover` without excoverall, you will see the pages that are generated today. I would break this in three tasks:

1. Improve the default HTML
2. Add a navigation sidebar to the HTML
3. Add an overview page

Feel free to ping me if you have any questions!

José Valim
Founder and
Director of R&D

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-lang-core/52357b35-2a0b-463e-b39c-8f5f1e2688b0%40googlegroups.com.

Louis Pilfold

Mar 4, 2018, 5:01:40 AM3/4/18
to elixir-lang-core

I would imagine it would be the same, but using the already included cover tool rather than the ExCoveralls tool. That way there is no need for the core team to adopt and maintain ExCoveralls and this new UI can be used by other BEAM languages as well.

Cheers,
Louis

Yordis Prieto

Mar 4, 2018, 11:40:21 AM3/4/18
to elixir-lang-core
Oooooohh I never used mix test --cover before ...... I will take a look to this

I will open a PR so it is easier to keep track of this.