Elixir v1.1.0-beta is out

José Valim

Sep 5, 2015, 3:33:57 PM9/5/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce that Elixir v1.1.0-beta is out and we would *love* if you try it out and give feedback!

This release contains many improvements, bug fixes and optimizations. For more information about what changed and what is new, please see the release notes: https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/tag/v1.1.0-beta

Because this is a beta version, you will either need to compile it from source or download the precompiled page from the release notes. Instructions for doing any of those can be found here: http://elixir-lang.org/install.html#precompiled-package

How can you help?

Being our first big release after v1.0, we would really appreciate your feedback. Elixir v1.0 meant that the language is stable, however, it does not mean stagnation. Elixir v1.1 contains important bug fixes and those may break your code if you were relying on those wrong assumptions. In other places, we have improved warnings, allowing the compiler to find errors before your test suite and those may show up when you first try Elixir v1.1 in your projects.

Our hope is that upgrading to v1.1.0-beta will be straight-forward and, if something breaks, it is because your code was ambiguous or possibly wrong. If you believe this is not the case or you have found a bug, please open up a report.

If, contrary to our expectations, you feel that upgrading is overwhelming, let us know. We want to continue bringing improvements on every Elixir release but they should feel incremental to developers, without adding extra burden.

In other words, we hope we have found the proper balance and that you will enjoy Elixir v1.1 as much as we do!

Feedback is always welcome (specially in a beta release) and happy coding!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

José Valim

Sep 5, 2015, 8:07:11 PM9/5/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Note: if you are running into issues were modules are being recompiled after upgrading, just remove the _build directory. A fix has been pushed to master so this won't be an issue on the final release. Thank you.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

José Valim

Sep 8, 2015, 7:17:27 AM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Folks, please give Elixir v1.1.0-beta a try if you haven't yet and please report back. :) Even if it is a simple: "everything worked just fine" or "everything worked fine after I cleaned the _build directory".

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Michał Muskała

Sep 8, 2015, 9:07:36 AM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I've just encountered the recompiling warning issue. Other than that
everything seems to work fine in my phoenix project, and in the
MongoDB adapter for Ecto.

There are only couple of packages complaining about the elixir
version. It's strange with mailgun because it seems the versions
should match:

warning: the dependency mailgun requires Elixir "~> 1.0.0 or ~>
1.1" but you are running on v1.1.0-beta

Michał.

José Valim

Sep 8, 2015, 9:08:35 AM9/8/15
to Klaus Alfert, elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for reporting Klaus!

In this case, your :then block was never invoked. So this is one of the cases I mentioned where the compiler will now raise, but for your own good. :)

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Klaus Alfert <klaus....@googlemail.com> wrote:
Reaxive works after minimal modifications: eliminating Access and changing  `then:` to `do:` in an `if` statement. Interesting that the `if`worked in the first place :-)

Good work,
thanks!

Klaus.

José Valim

Sep 8, 2015, 9:09:57 AM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
~> 1.1 does not match the 1.1 pre-releases (pre-releases are sorted before).

I will change mailgun to ~> 1.0 though, thanks Michał!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Paul Schoenfelder

Sep 8, 2015, 10:18:46 AM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Updating was smooth for me, no problems so far!

Paul

Martin Schuerrer

Sep 8, 2015, 10:33:45 AM9/8/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
We switched to Elixir 1.1 while it was still -dev, so we ran into a few dependencies that needed updating upstream before they'd work. Everyone was really quick to update though, so that was no problem. If you remember me filing issues about Elixir 1.1 compatibility against your repo, thanks again! :)

We had some code that relied on the deprecated String.contains? behavior, so that had to be changed. We also had one place where we did use a variable with an underscore.

We now take full advantage of the new log capturing in tests, support for pids and refs in Logger metadata, and switched to the new List.keytake/3.

All in all, upgrading was easy and straightforward, and Elixir 1.1 is an awesome release and I can't wait to see the final 1.1.0 :)

Thanks everyone who was involved from us at PSPDFKit!

Peter Hamilton

Sep 8, 2015, 4:55:40 PM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Feedback from rethinkdb-elixir:

I have a lot of block comments in the style of python:

"""
Some stuff
"""

def foo(bar) do
  bar
end

Those are all warnings now. What is the recommended style for block comments?

Additionally, I'm using the Access protocol in my DSL and I got flagged for that. Can we get some sort of guidance around why Access is deprecated and what to do instead? It's been mentioned a bunch on the mailing list, but I think an official "migration to 1.1 guide" should have a section for it.

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 7:52 AM Jim Menard <jim.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
CSVLixir compiles and runs just fine, after fixing one error that 1.1
revealed: I had triple double-quotes inside a heredoc string, and that
was never caught before. Escaping the quotes fixed the problem.

"""
this is """bad""" test data
"""

"""
this is \"\"\"good\"\"\" test data
"""

"""
so is \"""this
"""

[Sorry if this message appears twice. I accidentally posted from
another email address that doesn't belong to the group the first
time.]

On Tue, Sep 8, 2015 at 7:17 AM, José Valim
> --

Jim Menard, http://www.jimmenard.com/

José Valim

Sep 8, 2015, 5:16:58 PM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I have a lot of block comments in the style of python:

"""
Some stuff
"""

def foo(bar) do
  bar
end

If they are documentation, you must use: @doc """...""".
If they are code comments, you must start each line with #

Additionally, I'm using the Access protocol in my DSL and I got flagged for that. Can we get some sort of guidance around why Access is deprecated and what to do instead?

Since its conception, Access was meant to be implemented by dictionaries (it was mentioned in the docs). If you have a struct, you must use the struct.field syntax. There isn't much else to do besides don't use Access for non-dictionaries. If you have a particular example you would like to discuss, please send it my way. :)

The reason for deprecation is that excessive usage of Access was putting a lot of pressure in the code server during development due to the protocol dispatch, making it a bottleneck and considerably affecting the performance in development.

Thanks Peter!

Wendy Smoak

Sep 8, 2015, 6:11:17 PM9/8/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
I am not doing anything even remotely complicated, but I've been building Elixir from source the last few days and using that.  I haven't noticed any issues with it.

It was a holiday weekend in the US so probably more people were away than usual, but I'm curious, if you _aren't_ trying it out, is there anything that would help?  (Besides having more hours in the day!)

Jason M Barnes

Sep 8, 2015, 10:49:16 PM9/8/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Everything working great so far in my code.

Jason