Proposal: mix compile to have --no-warnings option

Siraj Kakeh

Jan 2, 2018, 4:46:34 AM1/2/18
to elixir-lang-core
Hello,
What?
I would like to propose adding a "--no-warnings" option to command "mix compile"

Why?
Elixir have a great warnings dictionary, but in case of wanting/needing to see a value printed on the command line it gets messy especially with big projects.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this!

Syed Murtza

Jan 2, 2018, 4:52:46 AM1/2/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I think we don’t have to add this because every time I see warnings it reminds me to cleanup the code base and on a large project after a year at last when i cleaned up the code base and warnings. It really fixes many hidden bugs as well.

So I think it will make us lazy and will keep many hidden bugs as well.

Regards
Syed Murtza

Andrea Leopardi

Wojtek Mach

Jan 2, 2018, 5:00:36 AM1/2/18
to elixir-lang-core
Warnings are printed on stderr so you can silence them by redirecting output:

mix deps.compile --force 2> /dev/null

W dniu wtorek, 2 stycznia 2018 10:55:07 UTC+1 użytkownik Andrea Leopardi napisał:
[...]

Siraj Kakeh

Onorio Catenacci

Jan 2, 2018, 1:04:17 PM1/2/18
to elixir-lang-core
If you're getting so many warnings you can't find your output, perhaps you've got other issues you should focus on?

I mean I get your point--when I'm doing development I sometimes do stuff that throws (at the time) useless warnings.  But there aren't that many warnings generated so I don't mind ignoring them while I'm doing development.  If you're getting so many warnings that you can't find your output you may want to figure out why you're getting that many warnings in the first place.

niahoo osef

Jan 2, 2018, 9:47:16 PM1/2/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

--no-deps-warnings could be fine :)

Best regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/elixir-lang-core/91bee4f4-ae2b-4ac5-a2b8-ff51ee29a69e%40googlegroups.com.

Andrew Timberlake

Jan 3, 2018, 1:13:10 AM1/3/18
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
> --no-deps-warnings could be fine :)

Sure, but then you aren’t alerted to the fact that your dependencies are lagging behind.
A warning today is a problem tomorrow. Those warnings should help drive us to submit pull requests etc.

Andrew