Elixir v1.1.0-rc.0 is out!

José Valim

Sep 15, 2015, 10:29:27 AM9/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am glad to announce that Elixir v1.1.0-rc.0 is out and we would *love* if you try it out and give feedback!

This release contains many improvements, bug fixes and optimizations. For more information about what changed and what is new, please see the release notes: https://github.com/elixir-lang/elixir/releases/tag/v1.1.0-rc.0

Because this is a release candidate, you will either need to compile it from source or download the precompiled page from the release notes. Instructions for doing any of those can be found here: http://elixir-lang.org/install.html#precompiled-package

Since the beta version was mostly stable and only two regressions were found, this release candidate is likely the last stop before 1.1. The scheduled date for 1.1.0 is September 25th.

How can you help?

Being our first big release after v1.0, we would really appreciate your feedback. Elixir v1.0 meant that the language is stable, however, it does not mean stagnation. Elixir v1.1 contains important bug fixes and those may break your code if you were relying on those wrong assumptions. In other places, we have improved warnings, allowing the compiler to find errors before your test suite and those may show up when you first try Elixir v1.1 in your projects.

Our hope is that upgrading to v1.1.0-rc.0 will be straight-forward and, if something breaks, it is because your code was ambiguous or possibly wrong. If you believe this is not the case or you have found a bug, please open up a report.

If, contrary to our expectations, you feel that upgrading is overwhelming, let us know. We want to continue bringing improvements on every Elixir release but they should feel incremental to developers, without adding extra burden.

In other words, we hope we have found the proper balance and that you will enjoy Elixir v1.1 as much as we do!

Happy coding!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

Eduardo Gurgel

Sep 15, 2015, 5:47:07 PM9/15/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
It's fairly simple to install any release with exenv as well:

$ exenv install -l
Available versions:
  1.1.0-rc.0
  1.1.0-beta
  1.0.5
  1.0.4
  1.0.3
  1.0.2
  1.0.1
  1.0.0-rc2
  1.0.0-rc1
  1.0.0
  0.15.1
  0.15.0
  0.14.3
  0.14.2
  0.14.1
  0.14.0
  0.13.3
  0.13.2
  0.13.1
  0.13.0
  0.12.5
  dev
  master
$ exenv install 1.1.0-rc.0
Downloading https://api.github.com/repos/elixir-lang/elixir/tarball/v1.1.0-rc.0...

Eduardo

Alexei Sholik

Sep 16, 2015, 9:14:17 AM9/16/15
to elixir-lang-core
Stock exenv does not have the 'install' command. You need to install elixir-build to get it - <https://github.com/mururu/elixir-build>.

Onorio Catenacci

Sep 16, 2015, 9:39:52 AM9/16/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

The ChocolateyNuGet  (CNG) package for 1.1.0-rc0 is now available on Chocolatey.  Couple of quick points:

1.) If you install via "chocolatey install elixir" you will _not_ get 1.1.0-rc0.  Because this version is marked as a pre-release version you need to add the "-pre" parameter to get it installed--like so: "cinst -pre elixir"

(cinst is a shortcut for "chocolatey install")

2.) Due to some ongoing confusion mainly caused by me, I've modified the install process such that the iex.bat command is now (sort of) in the path.  Those of you that know Windows will be expecting to type "iex" (without the file extension) at a command prompt and that won't work.  You will need to type "iex.bat" (with the file extension).  This was done so that we could document one command for Windows regardless of the shell which one is using. In Powershell (which we Windows folks should be using), if you type "iex" it won't work because there's already a built-in "iex" alias.  "iex.bat" will work in both Powershell and the old cmd shell hence we settled on that.  I'm planning to send along a PR  to add this to the getting started docs when I get time.  There's actually a bit more discussion here but since it's mainly interesting to those few of us who use Windows on a regular basis, I'll skip it.  Feel free to send me a private e-mail if you're curious.

3.) When 1.1.0 is fully released, I'll update the CNG package to install the GA version.

If anyone cares to post the announcement to Twitter and/or Reddit and/or LinkedIn, feel free. I sometimes get the feeling that some folks are tired of hearing from me. :)

--
Onorio

Onorio Catenacci

Sep 16, 2015, 9:42:37 AM9/16/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
Hi all,

The ChocolateyNuGet  (CNG) package for 1.1.0-rc0 is now available on Chocolatey.  Couple of quick points:

1.) If you install via "chocolatey install elixir" you will _not_ get 1.1.0-rc0.  Because this version is marked as a pre-release version you need to add the "-pre" parameter to get it installed--like so: "cinst -pre elixir"

(cinst is a shortcut for "chocolatey install")

2.) Due to some ongoing confusion mainly caused by me, I've modified the install process such that an iex.bat command is now in the path.  Those of you that know Windows will be expecting to type "iex" (without the file extension) at a command prompt and that won't work.  You will need to type "iex.bat" (with the file extension).  This was done so that we could document one command for Windows regardless of the shell which one is using. In Powershell (which we Windows folks _should_ be using), if you type "iex" it won't work because there's already a built-in "iex" alias.  "iex.bat" will work in both Powershell and the old cmd shell hence we settled on that.  I'm planning to send along a PR  to add this to the getting started docs when I get time.  There's actually a bit more discussion here but since it's mainly interesting to those few of us who use Windows on a regular basis, I'll skip it.  Feel free to send me a private e-mail if you're curious.

3.) When 1.1.0 is fully released, I'll update the CNG package to install the GA version.

If anyone cares to post the announcement to Twitter and/or Reddit and/or LinkedIn, feel free. I sometimes get the feeling that some folks are tired of hearing from me. :)

--
Onorio

Tallak Tveide

Sep 17, 2015, 9:17:01 AM9/17/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, jose....@plataformatec.com.br
Hi. I installed elixir with cinst -pre, on Windows, but it seems I am still running 1.0.4. I restarted the
cmd window as well. During installation it says installing 1.1-pre

Onorio Catenacci

Sep 17, 2015, 9:38:06 AM9/17/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hmm.  That's odd. Couple of thoughts:

1.) If you feel brave uninstall Chocolatey 1.0.4 first.  cuninst elixir should do the trick.

2.) You may need an elevated command prompt to install Chocolatey.  I think I've installed as a standard user but to be safe I'd use an elevated command prompt.

3.) If you want you can do a verbose install and send me the log directly.  cinst -pre -v elixir > installlog.txt should do the trick.

4.) You'll need to type "iex.bat" at the command prompt.  You cannot omit the .bat part at the end.  If you have the iex.bat for 1.0.4 in your path it would pick that one up first and that would pick up the other stuff for 1.0.4.  You may just want to check your path to insure you don't have 1.0.4 in the path at all.  I know in the past that people needed to manually modify their path to get iex working from the command line; that should no longer be true.

By the way, since the subject came up: there's an issue with iex.bat in the latest CNG installer.  The command iex.bat -S mix doesn't work.  As far as I know everything else works fine.  I'm trying to track down the source of the problem and I hope to have a fix ready for the release of Elixir 1.1.0.  I just want people to know that I am aware of the issue and I am trying to solve it.

--
Onorio

Onorio Catenacci

Sep 21, 2015, 10:58:06 AM9/21/15
to elixir-lang-talk, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hi Benny,

Yes, that's exactly the problem that I mentioned to Tallak Tveide.  Yes, the issue does seem to be that mix.exe shim that CNG was putting there but there's another problem that arises when I remove the shim.

PS C:\Users\ocatenacci> iex.bat -S mix
Eshell V7.0  (abort with ^G)
** (SyntaxError) c:/ProgramData/chocolatey/bin/mix.bat:2: syntax error before: '*'
    (elixir) lib/code.ex:363: Code.require_file/2

As I said before I'm trying to get it all straightened out and working. I will post an update when I've got something further.  I'm hoping to have it straightened out before 1.1.0 is released.

--
Onorio

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 at 4:17:24 PM UTC-4, Benny H wrote:
Hi!
Just started to learn Elixir and I think might have found a bug in the chocolatey installation (and maybe in Elixir shell itself).

I was installing elixir with
choco.exe install elixir -pre

And everything went fine, and I started with the tutorial at http://elixir-lang.org/getting-started/mix-otp/introduction-to-mix.html
Started creating the project with mix, no problems, but when I wanted to start the shell with "iex.bat -S mix" I got this weird error:

Eshell V7.0  (abort with ^G)
** (UnicodeConversionError) invalid encoding starting at <<144, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 4, 0, 0, 0, 255, 255, 0, 0, 184, 0, 0, 0,

0, 0, 0, 0, 64, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, ...>>

I googled it but found nothing so I started to investigate what this string is, and it turns out it is a part of the headers for executable files in Windows. Then I realized it was trying to load mix.exe from the chocolatey bin folder. So I renamed that file and it started to work. My guess is that elixir shouldn't try to load exe files as scripts, but I'm just starting so I really don't know this.

PS. I get the same error with the 1.0 release (without -pre).