Elixir v0.14.3 upcoming

Eric Meadows-Jönsson

Jul 10, 2014, 10:20:43 AM7/10/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

Elixir v0.14.3 will be released this weekend.

The major changes are:

  • defstruct no longer creates a type, support for %Struct{...} syntax in typespecs have been added instead
  • escript and archive tasks have been renamed to be more consistent
  • Default argument values have to be defined in a function head if the function has multiple clauses
  • Using a list for bitstring modifiers have been deprecated (as in <<x :: [little, utf16]>>), - should be used as the separator instead (as in <<x :: little-utf16>>)
  • Aliases for Mix tasks have been added, see the proposal for more information

See the changelog for a full list of changes.

We are approaching 1.0 and have no more backwards incompatible changes left in the issue tracker, this release is hopefully the last one with breaking changes. For the next release, 0.15, we want to finish the logger that will print all errors in Elixir terms. After 0.15 is out of the door we can start with the release candidates for 1.0

Dave Thomas

Jul 11, 2014, 2:18:13 PM7/11/14
to elixir-lang-core, elixir-l...@googlegroups.com

Can I ask about this change:

  • [Kernel] exit(integer) is no longer supported from scripts to configure the exit signal. Use exit({:shutdown, integer}) instead

The @doc for exit doesn’t mention this, and exit(1) still works. Does this apply only in some circumstances?

Dave

José Valim

Jul 11, 2014, 4:21:30 PM7/11/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
exit(1) works because it is considered an abnormal exit and all those exits will exit with reason 1 at the OS level. I have improved the docs of exit/1 to make the current semantics clear:

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Dave Thomas

Jul 11, 2014, 11:17:07 PM7/11/14
to elixir-lang-core
Perfect. Thanks...

Yurii Rashkovskii

Jul 11, 2014, 11:21:08 PM7/11/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
  • Using a list for bitstring modifiers have been deprecated (as in <<x :: [little, utf16]>>), - should be used as the separator instead (as in <<x :: little-utf16>>)
Does this mean one can no longer use macros in bitstring modifiers? I remember some of my libraries used that to avoid long, repeating modifiers all across the project.

Schedule a free help session with me at https://www.sohelpful.me/yrashk

José Valim

Jul 12, 2014, 5:09:09 AM7/12/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
  • Using a list for bitstring modifiers have been deprecated (as in <<x :: [little, utf16]>>), - should be used as the separator instead (as in <<x :: little-utf16>>)
Does this mean one can no longer use macros in bitstring modifiers? I remember some of my libraries used that to avoid long, repeating modifiers all across the project.

No, you can still use macros and they will work the same.

Dmitry Aleksandrov

Jul 14, 2014, 7:52:24 AM7/14/14
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
This test shows the answer:

quote do: <<x :: little-utf16>>
   [{:x, [], Elixir},
    {:-, [context: Elixir, import: Kernel],
     [{:little, [], Elixir}, {:utf16, [], Elixir}]}]}]}