Plans for Elixir v1.1

José Valim

Jan 26, 2015, 4:17:15 AM1/26/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

This is a pre-announcement for Elixir v1.1. The goal is to have an initial discussion here, answer questions, and then officially announce it on our blog.

Elixir v1.1 is scheduled for the 2nd trimester of 2015. There is no specific date because we would like to guarantee this new release works with Erlang 18 and the new map related functionalities being added there. Besides that, there are a couple other goals for this release:

1. Force ranges begin and end to be of the same type on operations (#2912)

2. Introduce and run protocol consolidations by default on prod environment (#2804)

3. Introduce to new options into Mix applications to configure its start type and compilation mode (#2862)

4. Deprecate the Access protocol. The Access module will still exist but it will only apply to data structures that actually implement the Dict behaviour (#2973)

5. Support escript related tasks - for example, escripts will be able to be installed globally, as archives (#2974)

As you can see, the main focus of those issues is to improve Elixir's performance and stability in production.

v1.1 will be backwards compatible with v1.0. To achieve such, warnings may be introduced when we are fixing bugs that are likely to affect existing code like 1 above.

All those issues and more are marked in the issues tracker for the v1.1.0 milestone:

Contributions, questions and feedback are welcome!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Paul Schoenfelder

Jan 26, 2015, 11:21:12 AM1/26/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Awesome stuff I know protocol consolidation will reduce some code in exrm that I have in place, and escript improvements are very welcome too I think.

Paul

José Valim

Feb 4, 2015, 9:55:34 AM2/4/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Giving another ping for feedback. Otherwise it will be announced publicly in a blog post soon!

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Lead Developer

Josh Adams

Feb 4, 2015, 10:54:18 AM2/4/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
My only feedback is that the escript bits look very nice :)

Josh Adams

Wojciech Kaczmarek

Feb 4, 2015, 2:15:07 PM2/4/15
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Looks like carefully crafted set of features.. nice! :D

W.