Cleaning out Elixir's .gitignore file and improve clarity

eksperimental

Apr 13, 2017, 10:55:57 AM4/13/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I'm working on improving the Makefile of Elixir, and I'm going through what's being ignored in
the .gitignore file.
Some are candidate for removal.

****************************
1) /.release
It seems that it has been removed long time ago in these two commits.

commit 8ced611aee30a30ed6728a9ef32c0d7094f3a262
Author: José Valim <jose....@plataformatec.com.br>
Date: Thu Jan 24 08:05:01 2013 -0700

We no longer have a .release task

M .travis.yml

commit 85fca3de2ecc36436e655db6afa0acf9bfa51f43
Author: José Valim <jose....@plataformatec.com.br>
Date: Wed Jan 23 13:53:09 2013 -0700

Properly declare .PHONY targets

M Makefile

****************************
2) /rel/elixir

commit d44e8bd1f6efc54e664c28fdfc864af37e7e3129
Author: José Valim <jose....@plataformatec.com.br>
Date: Tue Feb 11 10:24:27 2014 +0100

Remove release files

M Makefile

****************************

Additionally I would like to make it explicitly clear when we are refering to a file or a directory
in the .gitignore file.
So what I propose it is to suffix direcotries with a "/"
this could also apply to the generated .gitignore file by "mix new",
I think it's good practice and saves the trouble to leaving people figuring out which is what.
I am speaking out of my own experience, because I thought some entries in the .gitignore file were
files when they were actually directories.

Thank you.

José Valim

Apr 13, 2017, 11:04:43 AM4/13/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
Those sounds good to me. Let's wait a while to see if anyone has an objection and move ahead if not.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

eksperimental

Apr 17, 2017, 1:07:43 AM4/17/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I see we could also delete from .gitignore:
/ebin

On Thu, 13 Apr 2017 17:03:58 +0200
José Valim <jose....@plataformatec.com.br> wrote:

> Those sounds good to me. Let's wait a while to see if anyone has an
> objection and move ahead if not.
>

> *José Valim*
> > email to elixir-lang-co...@googlegroups.com.

eksperimental

Apr 26, 2017, 12:16:39 PM4/26/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I guess I can go ahead with a PR.

José, could you please confirm the removal of this entry:

> I see we could also delete from .gitignore:
> /ebin

thank you.

José Valim

Apr 26, 2017, 12:28:59 PM4/26/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com
I think we can remove ebin, yes. It was for users of rebar2.

José Valim
Skype: jv.ptec
Founder and Director of R&D

> > > To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/
> > > msgid/elixir-lang-core/20170413215540.31e6bbf4.
> > > eksperimental%40autistici.org.

eksperimental

Apr 26, 2017, 12:31:56 PM4/26/17
to elixir-l...@googlegroups.com