Move to pig 0.12 - Protocol message end-group tag did not match expected tag.

Mateusz Kaczynski

Feb 12, 2015, 11:01:46 AM2/12/15
to elephant...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We have just upgraded our cluster from using HBase 0.94 & pig 0.11 to HBase 0.98 & pig 0.12. Having done that required changing dependencies in our java libraries form protobuf 2.4.1 to 2.5. We regenerated java classes, installed protobuf 2.5 on dev machines and on the masters / namenodes. This still seem fine when we use java mr job directly to scan HBase and parse the protobufs.

The next move was to update elephant-bird from 4.1 to 4.6 for the pig 0.12 support. Whenever we try to get anything from an HBase field that was protobuf encoded using pig with elephant bird with ProtobufBytesToTuple, we fail with:

INFO com.twitter.elephantbird.mapreduce.io.ProtobufConverter: Invalid Protobuf exception while building com.package.common.defs.Crawl$Page
com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException: Protocol message end-group tag did not match expected tag.
at com.google.protobuf.InvalidProtocolBufferException.invalidEndTag(InvalidProtocolBufferException.java:94)

We kind of run out of ideas on this one, any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mateusz