Trump "healthcare arson"

Warren D Smith

Oct 15, 2017, 9:39:02 PM10/15/17
to electionscience
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/oct/15/bannon-indicates-trumps-aca-strategy-blow-that-thing-up

is about a public claim by Trump's former White House Chief Strategist
Steve Bannon (based on Trump;s latest executive orders) that Trump is
now going to destroy ObamaCare's functionality.
I.e. Trump could not get congress to repeal or replace the ACA, but he
can, without congress, largely destroy its operation. It is somewhat
analogous to: if we are traveling by
car and a majority of the occupants of the car want to drive to (say)
Philadelphia.
But one occupant of the car who does not like that destination, has the power
to dump carborundum abrasive dust into the oil tank on the car. After
he does so, he hopes/presumes the other car-occupants will reconsider
their preferences.

This might "work" to attain a "victory," but it would seem to be a Pyrrhic one.

Can anybody think of any other times a US president has adopted such a stance?

I personally think a lot of this sort of "arson" happens a lot (which
is a big reason why
government works poorly) but rarely (if ever) this brazenly and on
this enormous a scale.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking