Did the UK use Approval Voting up until 1948?

Clay Shentrup

Aug 19, 2015, 7:24:56 PM8/19/15
to The Center for Election Science
I read this online, but I assume the author was confused.

---

The UK previously used a different system to elect MP's. This system was used for centuries before it was abolished in 1948.

How it worked:

Each constituency returned a set number of MP's. North London constituency , for example may return 5 MP's.

Parties can nominate more than 1 person to run. Independants can also be nominated.

Voters can cast up to 1 vote for each candidate on the ballot paper. You could vote for all of them if you wanted, but this would effectively be the same as not voting at all, as it would advance each candidate's vote count equally.

The votes are counted and the candidates with the largest number of votes fill the slots available and become MP's.