Quantum encryption question

esand...@gmail.com

Feb 2, 2016, 11:01:37 AM2/2/16
to The Center for Election Science

I'm working on a new script that deals with quantum cryptography. Does anyone happen to know anything about this topic and, if so, would you be willing to chat with me and my collaborator Dave for a bit about some of our story elements?

Warren D Smith

Feb 2, 2016, 12:23:38 PM2/2/16
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I know about quantum crypto, and I do not like it.
I recommend old-style classical crypto. It's cheaper, easier,
doesn't have distance or storage-time limitations, doesn't
need unusual hardware and special fibers, doesn't care if the
weather is cloudy.

The only possible reason anybody should want quantum crypto (aside from
being a gullible idiot) is the possibility that future quantum
computers will be able to break
"public key" old-style crypto. If that ever happens, then we can (1) use
private key crypto, or (2) develop new public key schemes immune to quantum
computers. (1) definitely works. Last time I looked (2) was under
investigation and
looked like it was doable but not very attractive since the new public
key schemes
they invented to be quantum proof had increased
computing requirements. I do not know the current status of (2).
Let me know if you find out.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking