Did anyone hear about this sucsessfull use of score voting in a contested election?

parker friedland

Dec 10, 2017, 5:19:10 PM12/10/17
to The Center for Election Science
FairVote argues that approval voting and score voting are unworkable in contested elections, because the bigger the stake voters have in elections, the more likely they are to bullet vote.

Counterpoint:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Score_Voting/comments/7dpwe0/green_party_of_utahs_score_voting_results/

NoIRV

Dec 10, 2017, 7:23:00 PM12/10/17
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 5:19:10 PM UTC-5, parker friedland wrote:
> FairVote argues that approval voting and score voting are unworkable in contested elections, because the bigger the stake voters have in elections, the more likely they are to bullet vote.
> Counterpoint: https://www.reddit.com/r/Score_Voting/comments/7dpwe0/green_party_of_utahs_score_voting_results/

I did not need to because voters would only bullet vote if either
(1) they genuinely preferred one front runner over every other candidate,
(2) they preferred one front runner over every other candidate they knew about (which is not many), or
(3) they made a tactical error.
I doubt that many people would actually be in category 3, because given the design of Score Voting it is hard not to give a score greater than 0 for people you like. So more likely the voter just has not researched the third parties, making him or her in category 2.
As for 2 itself, this category will gradually erode away as third parties gain more coverage. (Also people will likely out third parties as no opinion, so third parties may actually win quickly... or slowly, in harsh-blue or harsh-red areas.

Sorry about this rushed comment.

Clay Shentrup

Dec 16, 2017, 5:36:59 PM12/16/17
to The Center for Election Science
I saw this months ago but I appreciate the detailed breakdown. This should totally be added to the CES progress page.

Green Party of Utah birthed itself earlier this year and used Score Voting to elect Chairs and Treasurers. This was a small, friendly election, but sounds like it was a positive experience all around and didn't show any of the problems that detractors predict would happen.

34 voters, 2 winners in each race. Description of the procedure is on their forum. Completed ballots are here.

There were zero bullet votes
97% of voters scored every candidate
Only 1 voter gave explicit 0s to any candidate (3%)
3 voters gave maximum scores to all candidates (9%)
71% of ballots gave equal scores to multiple candidates
Average score was 7, median score 8, for all candidates and voters