Jerry Brown vetoes California IRV bill

Clay Shentrup

Oct 1, 2016, 1:36:14 PM10/1/16
to The Center for Election Science
http://www.latimes.com/politics/essential/la-pol-sac-essential-politics-updates-gov-jerry-brown-makes-it-crystal-1475258571-htmlstory.html

“In a time when we want to encourage more voter participation, we need to keep voting simple,” the governor said. “Ranked-choice voting is overly complicated and confusing. I believe it deprives voters of genuinely informed choice.”

He thinks turnout is more important than the choice of voting method. Sigh. He's so great on most issues but this is idiocy.

Warren D Smith

Oct 1, 2016, 1:39:13 PM10/1/16
to electio...@googlegroups.com
He is correct IRV is more complicated.
Approval voting, and perhaps score voting, would achieve Brown's
"simplicity" goal.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking

Brian Olson

Oct 3, 2016, 12:33:38 PM10/3/16
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Gov Brown has it backwards. Meaningless non-choice keeps voters at home, really, why bother? A better system would drive turnout.

On the other hand, I kinda expect the Maine thing to pass, and a few years from now after the first IRV failure for governor it'll finally make big news (that the Burlington VT Mayor IRV failure didn't make) and we'll finally be able to concretely explain how IRV sucks and we have so many better alternatives.

Warren D Smith

Oct 3, 2016, 5:30:00 PM10/3/16
to electio...@googlegroups.com
> On the other hand, I kinda expect the Maine thing to pass, and a few years
> from now after the first IRV failure for governor it'll finally make big
> news (that the Burlington VT Mayor IRV failure didn't make) and we'll
> finally be able to concretely explain how IRV sucks and we have so many
> better alternatives.

--Don't count on it.
Historically, when IRV sucks, it gets repealed, by
a referendum which includes only plurality & IRV as choices, no others offered.

And as far as I can tell, people of the "FairVote" ilk try very hard
to make very sure that such repeal referendums include ONLY those 2
bad choices.

Once the repeal happens, they then have returned to the original
no-progress status, where they then remain for eternity. Whoopee.

Clay Shentrup

Oct 3, 2016, 11:59:02 PM10/3/16
On Monday, October 3, 2016 at 9:33:38 AM UTC-7, Brian Olson wrote:
On the other hand, I kinda expect the Maine thing to pass, and a few years from now after the first IRV failure for governor it'll finally make big news (that the Burlington VT Mayor IRV failure didn't make) and we'll finally be able to concretely explain how IRV sucks and we have so many better alternatives.

I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out performing pretty well. Burlington's example seems not to happen that often in real life. It's just that it happened so early in their use of IRV.