Approval voting mentioned in connection with Texas runoff election low turnout

Ted Stern

May 17, 2018, 9:15:40 PM5/17/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com

Sara Wolf

May 18, 2018, 2:36:05 AM5/18/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I saw your recent election reform article: "We should vote in the runoffs — and then we should get rid of them"

Have you heard of STAR Voting? It's an upgrade to Instant Runoff designed to address the critsisms and shortcomings. STAR Voting has less rounds and it's more accurate with multiple candidates in the race. Here's a hot off the press release:

Hope you publish it!
-Sara Wolk

Chief Petitioner for "STAR Voting for Multnomah County"

Portland Equal Vote

sa...@equal.vote
​www​
.
​starv​
​ting​
.
​us​

www.equal.vote

“The fact is that FPTP, the voting method we use in most of the English-speaking world, is absolutely horrible, and there is reason to believe that reforming it would substantially (though not of course completely) alleviate much political dysfunction and suffering.”

-Jameson Quinn, The Center For Election Science

Ted Stern

May 18, 2018, 2:13:30 PM5/18/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Sara, are you replying to me?  I have a Google alert for approval voting, so I was just forwarding an interesting article I saw.  If you want to respond to anyone, it should be Jeff Mankoff, the author of the article:  https://www.tribtalk.org/author/jeff-mankoff/

I'm also already aware of STAR voting.  I think it's a good method, but Approval is a good first step that meets all current voting system requirements, and would not require much additional legislation.  For methods with more nuance, I like EXACT, an irrelevant-ballot-independent variant of Majority Judgment.

Ted