Rangevoting.org and Scorevoting.net down?

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 5:36:18 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
I can't connect to either of these two sites...

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 5:39:25 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
I can connect to CES, Fairvote, Reddit, Twitter, Gmail, etc. but I have 10 problem not loading pages from trying to connect to rangevoting.org and scorevoting.net

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 7:05:10 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Does anybody else have this problem or is it just me?

NoIRV

Apr 7, 2018, 7:23:52 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science

I cannot either and I tried going to e.g. /GerryExec.html and /NoIrv.html and those failed too.
This is really bad.

We might have to use web.archive.org for now.
http://web.archive.org/web/20170921023626/www.rangevoting.org/NoIrv.html

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 7:44:04 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Warren? Did you pull these sites down?

If not, then is this a result of ISP throttling? Net neutrality stuff? Domain name system privatization?

Phil Uhrich

Apr 7, 2018, 8:06:57 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Work for me.

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 8:08:35 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Well their back online now. This is weird because this isn't the first time it happened. This type of thing has never happened to me before except for this year when it has happened to multiple sites for me (google, twitter, etc.). According to Firefox, when one site like google is down when many other sites work, Firefox suggests that it is likely a result of a DNS problem. This kind of thing is really frustrating when it does happen, because you don't know in advance when it will happen, how long it will happen and what sites it will happen to.

parker friedland

Apr 7, 2018, 8:10:55 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Does anybody know what causes sites to go down like this, and why this is now a common thing?

Warren D Smith

Apr 7, 2018, 9:22:27 PM4/7/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
the server crashed & eventually was rebooted.

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking

Phil Uhrich

Apr 7, 2018, 9:59:46 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
If it's a bigger site and you think it might be dns servers that isn't hard to change. Just look up a video on youtube. You can always use google's dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (70% sure on the 2nd one.) You can do it on your computer or your router and it should work fine.

Phil Uhrich

Apr 7, 2018, 10:02:28 PM4/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Or just install Opera Browser and toggle the free VPN (next to the address bar) to on. Any country should give you different DNS servers than your default ones which are run by your ISP.

Warren D Smith

Apr 8, 2018, 1:31:35 AM4/8/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
not dns server, actual server.

Steve Cobb

Apr 8, 2018, 10:39:56 AM4/8/18
to The Center for Election Science
I can't connect to them while running a VPN.

Phil Uhrich

Apr 8, 2018, 2:31:45 PM4/8/18
to The Center for Election Science
Warren, Yeah, I got that. Parker was also asking about when it happens to bigger sites (more common on some ISP's than others).

Steve, I had no problem connecting from Asia with Opera browser's VPN or with PIA's VPN in the US. I can check another specific location if you tell me where your VPN landed you if you want but I don't feel like going through the 40 or so places I can VPN to.

parker friedland

Apr 25, 2018, 6:01:05 PM4/25/18
to The Center for Election Science
Warren, your site is down again and needs to be rebooted.

parker friedland

May 6, 2018, 10:28:05 PM5/6/18
to The Center for Election Science
Down again...

Reboot time

Warren D Smith

May 7, 2018, 12:23:03 AM5/7/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
oh dear. getting less & less reliable...

William Waugh

May 7, 2018, 4:55:16 AM5/7/18
to The Center for Election Science
Is the site just text, or is there interactive stuff and/or data collection?

Linode cloud is $60/yr (unless there is more content than I am guessing) and very reliable.

parker friedland

Jun 2, 2018, 2:19:45 AM6/2/18
to The Center for Election Science
It's down again.

It seems like it's down more often then not these days :(

Felix Sargent

Jun 5, 2018, 4:30:22 PM6/5/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
If you want any help backing up the data, we can help.
I run approval.vote on Github pages and it's always up, and free.

Felix Sargent
Director, Board of Directors
Center for Election Science

Clay Shentrup

Jun 5, 2018, 6:22:01 PM6/5/18
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 1:30:22 PM UTC-7, Felix Sargent wrote:
If you want any help backing up the data, we can help.
I run approval.vote on Github pages and it's always up, and free.

Yeah but M$ just bought them so that's over.

Ted Stern

Jun 5, 2018, 6:40:37 PM6/5/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
gitlab.com is free and can easily import your github repos.  I did all of mine yesterday.

Clay Shentrup

Jun 6, 2018, 1:09:15 AM6/6/18
On Tuesday, June 5, 2018 at 3:40:37 PM UTC-7, Dodecatheon Meadia wrote:
gitlab.com is free and can easily import your github repos.  I did all of mine yesterday.

I was kidding. GitHub is awesome and I'm excited they'll be infusing Microsoft with more Bay Area agile culture, Ruby on Rails, etc.

William Waugh

Jun 6, 2018, 8:13:29 PM6/6/18
to The Center for Election Science
People should also be aware of Bitbucket. If you have only public repos, it's free. It's also free for up to about five users as a team to share private repos. I'm used to how the interface works for merges. For all I know, Gitlab may be better in every respect. But I haven't tried the latter.

parker friedland

Jun 27, 2018, 9:26:58 PM6/27/18
to The Center for Election Science
reboot

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 7:28:05 PM UTC-7, parker friedland wrote:
Down again...

Reboot time

Clay Shentrup

Jun 30, 2018, 10:34:57 AM6/30/18
to The Center for Election Science
Warren,

Is there anything I can do to help? Money to fund a better host? Anything?

Clay