Washington (state) 45th district Democrats support Score Voting and Approval Voting

Clay Shentrup

Mar 13, 2018, 3:46:49 PM3/13/18
to The Center for Election Science
https://www.45thdemocrats.org/2018/03/review-our-2018-draft-platform/

Elections & Voting

We believe:

  • Corporations are not people.
  • Money is not speech.
  • Transparency in campaign finance should be a national priority.

We support:

  • Voters’ rights and efforts to reduce barriers to voting, including:
    • Declaring election day a federal holiday.
    • Nationwide automatic voter registration.
    • Nationwide postage-free vote by mail.
    • Approval or score voting methods instead of plurality and first past the post.
    • Open primaries or same-day registration for closed primaries nationwide.
    • Making it illegal to require birth certificates and other hard documents to prove US citizenship in order to vote.
  • Non-partisan, technology-based redistricting in an effort to combat gerrymandering.
  • Efforts to limit campaign contributions to voting individuals, not non-voting entities.
  • Strict campaign contribution limits so citizens of all socioeconomic backgrounds can equally participate in our democracy.
  • The expansion of Seattle’s Democracy Voucher program statewide.
  • Efforts to criminalize political corruption by specifying broader guidelines for proving quid pro quo.

Clay Shentrup

Mar 13, 2018, 3:50:33 PM3/13/18
to The Center for Election Science
This is just northeast of Seattle, the area including Cottage Lake and Duvall in the map below.

Clay Shentrup

Mar 13, 2018, 3:51:36 PM3/13/18
to The Center for Election Science

Ciaran Dougherty

Mar 13, 2018, 4:37:48 PM3/13/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Hmm... I have a bit of an in with a State House member in the 48th (next district south)...  I may have to talk with her...

William Waugh

Jun 20, 2018, 1:25:21 AM6/20/18
to The Center for Election Science
So, some "Democrats" are actually democrats.

On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 3:46:49 PM UTC-4, Clay Shentrup wrote https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/electionscience/U4bEtPJfZZA

Rob Wilson

Jun 22, 2018, 2:52:42 PM6/22/18
to The Center for Election Science
Most of the platform sounds great, but I don't like voting by mail. A spouse or parent of a young adult shouldn't have the ability to stand over you while you vote.

Ciaran Dougherty

Jun 22, 2018, 3:44:36 PM6/22/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
yes, and while that is a legitimate concern, universal ballot by mail is the law in Washington state, so it's kind of a done deal.

And it does have an advantage, especially given your other concern about awareness of candidates: with a ballot mailed home, it allows people to do research on individual candidates at their leisure.

Indeed, that's one of the advantages to score/approval in such states: because there is no aspect of vote counting that is contingent on relative scores, it allows you to research and score candidates individually, rather than researching them all and then deciding what your vote should be.

Sara Wolf

Jun 22, 2018, 3:49:26 PM6/22/18
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Ideally we need a mix of vote by mail and also the option to go to a polling place if desired. I think the pros of Vote by Mail far outweigh the few cons, but for people who are homeless/houseless or who don't have a stable address the ability to vote in person with day-of registration is critical.