how do democracies end?

Warren D Smith

Jul 15, 2016, 7:36:04 PM7/15/16
to electionscience
My theory that the main cause of death is NOT external threats, but
rather internal takeovers by elements of the government already
in power, is verified by the current coup in Turkey.

Of course, that is only one data point, and I have long wanted
a careful accounting to verify or deny this theory. If the CDC
considers it worth it to count deaths by cause, then it ought to be worth it
to count "deaths" of democracies through history by cause.
Of course, just like human deaths the matter is somewhat wishy-washy and
poorly-defined. (Example: is Israel currently a "democracy"?)

Anyhow, I just found this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_coups_d%27%C3%A9tat_and_coup_attempts

which looks like an excellent start.

--