What is the relationship between CES and this group?

Clay Shentrup

Dec 13, 2017, 3:11:09 PM12/13/17
to The Center for Election Science
The initial idea was that this was a starting point for building a community behind CES. However, it's been a long time since I've seen substantial involvement by CES board members. Would people here like more direct involvement? Should we migrate to a more broadly focused activist group, or start something on Loomio? As a founding member of CES, I'm curious what this group thinks.

Thanks.

NoIRV

Dec 13, 2017, 5:45:40 PM12/13/17
On Wednesday, December 13, 2017 at 3:11:09 PM UTC-5, Clay Shentrup wrote:
> The initial idea was that this was a starting point for building a community behind CES. However, it's been a long time since I've seen substantial involvement by CES board members. Would people here like more direct involvement? Should we migrate to a more broadly focused activist group, or start something on Loomio? As a founding member of CES, I'm curious what this group thinks.
>

> Thanks.

We were supposed to migrate the forum over to electology.org but that does not seem to be working out. I am not aware of what Loomio is,

Throw out some ideas, and we can score-vote to decide which to do.

Toby Pereira

Dec 14, 2017, 5:05:27 PM12/14/17
to The Center for Election Science
I've always seen this as a sort of discussion wing of CES open to basically anyone. Most people who post here probably don't have any affiliation with CES, but I think it's good that it has an open discussion forum where people don't have to all subscribe to the same views on which is the best voting method.

But more involvement from board members would be good. I get an e-mailed newsletter - maybe that could be posted on here as well.

Jameson Quinn

Dec 14, 2017, 6:29:05 PM12/14/17
to electionsciencefoundation
I'm a CES board member and I keep an eye on most of the discussion here. I don't always have something to add, but I think that it's useful to have this public discussion group, allied to CES but not controlled by it.

Three other useful discussion forums that I can recommend are:
election-methods mailing list (this is probably known to most people here; with a more theoretical bent)
EndFPTP forum on reddit (a general hub for activists, including those who agree with the CES and some who don't)
EndFPTP channel on Slack (a place for real-time discussion and quick notes and/or alerts)

I think that this group still has a role to play beyond what those offer.

The initial idea was that this was a starting point for building a community behind CES. However, it's been a long time since I've seen substantial involvement by CES board members. Would people here like more direct involvement? Should we migrate to a more broadly focused activist group, or start something on Loomio? As a founding member of CES, I'm curious what this group thinks.

Thanks.

Clay Shentrup

Dec 17, 2017, 5:14:48 PM12/17/17
to The Center for Election Science
Thanks Jameson. I feel that CES would benefit by taking a more proactive role here to rally a potential swarm of activists. Posting the newsletter here would certainly be a nice first step.

Ted Stern

Dec 18, 2017, 6:49:38 PM12/18/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jameson,

The EndFPTP#theoretical channel on Slack is pretty dead.  I asked you a question there 2 months ago and never heard back :-)