Name of this voting security method?

?

Dec 1, 2017, 9:40:38 PM12/1/17
to The Center for Election Science
A while back I heard about this way to secure ballots so there would be no bribery.
The idea was, your ballot would be split into two sides. On the left are the candidates and on the right is where you vote. A perforation would divide the two sides. I think there was also a QR code or similar on the right side that contained an encrypted version of the left side.

After filling out your ballot, you shred the left and place the right on an electronic scanner. Then you can take the right side home as verification of your vote.

I was wondering what this was called and how to get information about it.

NoIRV

Dec 3, 2017, 7:50:17 PM12/3/17
to The Center for Election Science

I guess it could be that I just invented this in some weird dream, because I have not been able to find any information about it, but that just seems too unlikely. Though if I did invent it, care to discuss any flaws it might have?

Neal McBurnett

Dec 4, 2017, 12:55:28 AM12/4/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
There are a bunch of interesting end-to-end auditable voting systems out there.

I haven't reviewed them recently, but from my notes and vague memories, these may be related or of interest:

ThreeBallot, VAV, Twin, Punchscan, Scantegrity, eperio, Prêt à Voter, STAR-Vote.

Look them up, follow their references, and I bet you'll find the one you have in mind and others to pursue.

Neal McBurnett http://neal.mcburnett.org/

Brian Olson

Dec 4, 2017, 8:06:10 AM12/4/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
closest sounds like Rivest three-ballot; which is more of a parity system and doesn't require any secret database or QR code, so is probably better for not being so vulnerable to technical foulups

NoIRV

Dec 4, 2017, 10:00:27 PM12/4/17
to The Center for Election Science
I was more trying to figure out the name of this system than compare its effectiveness to others, and this is nothing like 3ballot as described on rangevoting.org

I think this is Scantegrity or Pret a Voter that I am looking for.