Trump "compromised" by KGB?

Warren D Smith

Jan 11, 2017, 12:54:05 PM1/11/17
to electionscience
BuzzFeed published the "confidential" dossier
about Russia allegedly being prepared
to blackmail Trump at any time, which includes the allegation
that Russia’s FSB, the successor to the KGB, believed it had
"compromised Trump through his activities in Moscow sufficiently to be
able to blackmail him." Specifically, Russia allegedly had information
that Trump engaged in
"perverted sexual acts which have been arranged/monitored by the FSB"
and had been recorded having sex with prostitutes in a Moscow hotel:
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/3259984-Trump-Intelligence-Allegations.html

Trump totally denies it all and says this is all a "witch hunt,"
resembling "Nazi
Germany," designed to make Trump look bad in the media.

No way for me to know who is lying. Every party involved on all sides
is a known massive professional liar...

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking

William Waugh

Jan 12, 2017, 2:09:35 AM1/12/17
to The Center for Election Science
The release by BuzzFeed goes outside of traditional journalistic ethics. It can't be right to put out allegations about somebody if there is no supporting evidence.

Warren D Smith

Jan 12, 2017, 1:03:27 PM1/12/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
--actually, a previous piece by David Corn in Mother Jones Magazine
some months back had also talked about that same dossier's allegations!

However, Buzzfeed actually released the dossier itself (along with
something of a disclaimer saying they had not verified it and knew
that it contained at least 2 hopefully-minor errors), thus giving
us access to the primary source (although I use the term "primary" loosely...):
https://www.buzzfeed.com/kenbensinger/these-reports-allege-trump-has-deep-ties-to-russia?utm_term=.geBqNkwL9#.ok3vEBajO

Then the Wall Street Journal revealed the author of the dossier was
Christopher Steele -- a 20-year British former MI-6 agent who supposedly
mainly had operated in Russia, France, and England, age currently about 52,
who more recently has been co-director of "Orbis Business Intelligence Ltd,"
a private security and investigation firm based in London.
CNN then claimed Steele had initially been hired by Republicans to dig
up dirt on
Trump. Some media claim he'd been hired by Jeb Bush; others
by FusionGPS, a Republican/WashingtonDC political research firm. Both claims
could simultaneously be true. Later Steele was hired some more by
Hillary Clinton supporters to keep digging.

Media then all tried to contact Steele, but he clammed up, including
neither he nor his firm confirmed his authorship.
In fact, Steele now appears to have gone into hiding!
The Telegraph: A source close to Mr Steele said he was "horrified"
when his nationality was published and is now "terrified for his and
his family's safety."

Incidentally, Steele and his firm had previously drawn some fame
for exposing the corruption scandal around Sepp Blatter
and the FIFA (world soccer association) after they were hired
by the British FA to investigate them. That scandal led
to a ton of indictments and resignations of FIFA officials.
So Steele is for real. Plus you've got to love his excellent spy
name which somehow is the exact analogue of "James Bond."

The BBC's Paul Wood then claimed that Steele
was NOT the sole source of claims that the Russians had a
Kompromat file on Trump; Wood had found his own sources. That
proves Steele was not just making it up. Maybe somebody else was
making it up, but not Steele. Since neither Steele nor Wood told
us the names of their sources (they merely gave vague
descriptions) it is conceivable they were the same;
or (much more likely) they might be independent, giving increased reliability.
One of Wood's sources was "a retired spy [who] told me he had been informed of
[the Kompromat file's] existence by 'the head of an East European
intelligence agency'."
Later Wood contacted an active duty CIA officer dealing with this and was told
"there was 'more than one tape,', 'audio and video,' on 'more than one
date,' in 'more than one place' -- in the Ritz-Carlton in Moscow and
also in St Petersburg -- and that the material was 'of a sexual
nature'." Wood had in all 4 different sources claiming to
tell him different claims about what was in the Kompromat file.

Ultimately all the claimed sources were Russian or Eastern Bloc spies
or former spies (or in some cases Western spies), some of
whom Steele paid for their info.

And if, for some reason, the Russians wished
to create this false rumor, they could have simply themselves have hired
said spies and told them to spread the rumor to the likes of
Steele, Wood, and the CIA.

I however fail to see why the Russians would want to do that;
and if they did want to, then why not provide more-convincing-looking
evidence too? I mean, the Russians have been accused by US
intelligence (and this is one of the few things the US report
actually provided evidence about) of creating and spreading
"fake news" stories, so they certainly have what it takes...

And if, in fact, the dossier's allegations ARE correct, it would be easy
for the Russians to prove them correct by just unveiling
their Kompromat file. But that looks unlikely, at least in the near future,
because Putin and the Russians have DENIED not only the
existence of the Trump Kompromat file, but indeed they claim that
Russian intelligence NEVER collects Kompromat files on ANYBODY,
EVER! That's all a lie spread by enemies of Russia!

Meanwhile Trump claimed it all was lies and it all is an evil
conspiracy of leaks
from the intelligence community trying to hurt his reputation, resembling
Nazi Germany. Actually, Steele's info did not come from the US intelligence
community at all, and he had been hired by Trump's political rivals...
but Trump never seems to care about minor matters like the truth.
Incidentally, note that Trump himself is now appointing some of his
former rivals like
Rick Perry to head the Energy Dept (Perry formerly became famous for
saying in a televised Debate he'd eliminate 3 US Govt agencies... not
being able to remember one... and the one he had not remembered, was
Energy) and Ben Carson to
head HUD (Carson has zero experience with housing and urban development)
who may have been among those paying for Steele's services.

Telegraph: "The FBI opened preliminary investigations into Trump and
his entourage’s dealings with Russians that were based in part on
Steele’s reports, according to people familiar with the inquiries.
However, they said the Bureau shifted into low gear in the weeks
before the election to avoid interfering in the vote. They said Steele
grew frustrated and stopped dealing with the FBI after concluding it
was not seriously investigating the material he had provided."

Many in the media have attacked BuzzFeed for publishing the unverified dossier.
But notice how their publication has triggered many many people all
over journalism to now publish what they knew, which COMBINED
paints a much fuller picture. If each journalist had said "I by myself do
not have enough verified facts to publish" then we would know nothing.
So in that sense, do the ends justify the means, journalism-ethics-wise?
And would we all have been far better off if this all had come out
BEFORE the election?

(I do not claim to know the answers.)

Warren D Smith

Jan 12, 2017, 1:36:01 PM1/12/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Also, Chris Christie, another of Trump's rivals he then hired
(head of his transition team)... but ultimately Trump
fired Christie.

So that is at least 3 people that Trump appointed, who may have
(in fact apparently were) among those who'd previously paid
for Steele to dig up the dossier on Trump and the Kompromat file.

Trump has not mentioned that; he instead has
blamed it on a conspiracy of leaks from the US intelligence
community since they are involved in an evil conspiracy against him --
and evil US media, also conspiring against him.
Similarly, over 20 evil women were conspiring to tell
lies about his sexual misbehavior, including at one point
Trump's own (ex)wife.

I've never seen anything like this shit.

Warren D Smith

Jan 14, 2017, 2:17:43 PM1/14/17
to electionscience
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38613979

is a BBC story about Russian "kompromat"
files generally (not Trump). It makes it clear that the Russian
KGB (now called FSB) indeed collects kompromat files and
uses them for political purposes.
Just in case anybody had believed the Kremlin denial
(which had claimed no such files exist, and that
they never are collected, and that this all is just an evil lie
spread by evil enemies of Russia).

Phil Uhrich

Jan 16, 2017, 7:28:03 PM1/16/17
to The Center for Election Science
Srry, I was busy this last week. Still absolutely nothing but "Trust us spooks, we would never lie just to get the country into a unnecessary war, at least not more than one a decade, we promise." from the spy agencies on this. I have next to no doubt that if they had proof NSA could leek it and seeing as there are a lot of skeptics I really think they should. Especially since this is the 3rd time since november there has been a push to overturn the results of the election. (Jill Stein's 'Don't Nader Me' recount, the electoral college's faithless electors, and now the deep state) Which Trump supporters are taking predictably well: https://twitter.com/hradzka/status/820109366997172225

So While every democrat was running around lighting their hair on fire Obama decided to launch some tanks into Poland so they could sit on Russia's border. And because we haven't done enough to destroy Haiti by letting the Clintons grift away the majority of the charitable donations the world sent after the earthquake, Obama had some storm troopers go arrest one of their newly Elected Senators on drug charges days before he would have gotten sworn in and received immunity. Also, running against the clock, Clintons would have been cabinet pick, Victoria Nuland, tries to rush a coup in Cyprus so we can get a base there to box Russia in some more.

But as far as Russia's hacking goes:
If you want detailed and impartial / if anything leans against Trump. Marcy Wheeler is all over this story.
https://www.emptywheel.net/2017/01/16/the-significance-of-the-december-13-trump-dossier-report/
https://www.emptywheel.net/2017/01/14/the-dossier-alleges-dnc-insiders-were-involved-in-hack/

Moon Of Alabama is a solid source for anything the military is doing without the media spin. They have been critical of all sides in most engagements. If I had to guess I would say ex military with lots of contacts, but I could be wrong.
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/01/deep-state-35-pages-attack-against-trump-fails-foreign-and-domestic-losses.html#more
http://www.moonofalabama.org/2017/01/it-cant-happen-here-color-revolution-by-force.html#more

That is what I would recommend keeping an eye on if there are updates. And here are more mainstream sources ripping apart the zero evidence from the intelligence community.
https://theintercept.com/2017/01/11/the-deep-state-goes-to-war-with-president-elect-using-unverified-claims-as-dems-cheer/
http://www.counterpunch.org/2017/01/13/did-the-russians-really-hack-the-dnc/

Poland
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/world/europe/as-trump-reaches-toward-putin-us-troops-arrive-in-poland.html?_r=0
Haiti
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/12/world/americas/guy-philippe-haiti-extradite-drug-charges.html
Cyprus
http://www.defenddemocracy.press/building-totalitarianism-in-europe-the-last-coup-of-victoria-nuland/

Someone really needs to explain to me just how Obama got a nobel peace prize; or why anyone lets him pretend he was good for the economy. He literally did the bare minimum for everyone but the crooks who's greed made the whole thing collapse. Literally anyone but walking avatar of the oligarchy Mitt Romney would have destroyed him in 2012. Last time Wall Street destroyed the worlds economy they decided that a fascist coup was preferable to FDR raising their taxes and regulating them. So don't worry, our third laissez faire induced Gilded Age will get much worse before it gets better. Thanks, Obama, for a lot of empty rhetoric.

Phil Uhrich

Jan 18, 2017, 6:08:36 PM1/18/17
to The Center for Election Science
Dozens of former intelligence officials call on Obama to release any evidence of hacking if it exists.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2017/01/veteran-u-s-intelligence-officials-call-russian-hacking-proof.html