RCV in Saint Louis Park MN.

Phil Uhrich

Feb 26, 2018, 2:51:04 PM2/26/18
to The Center for Election Science
I just noticed in the local news that this rich suburb of Minneapolis is potentially planning on switching to RCV (Minneapolis and Saint Paul already have it).
Here is the website detailing the timeline and whatnot:
https://www.stlouispark.org/government/boards-commissions/charter-commission/ranked-choice-voting
They convened a so called 'panel of experts' https://youtu.be/27mDdwn2yYc

They are set to have a public listening session on 3/6 and then a final vote on 3/13.

I noticed somewhere that they already voted to end primary elections so emphasizing that they aren't necessary is a plus.

"If you would like to submit a written comment to the charter commission, please email Melissa Kennedy at mken...@stlouispark.org"

Feb 26, 2018, 9:52:09 PM2/26/18
to The Center for Election Science
I do not like this:

> STAR captures all of the benefits of RCV like more civil campaigning, elimination of the spoiler effect, removing the need for primaries, and allowing for 3rd parties to have a shot; while avoiding some of the downsides I mentioned. STAR does a better job selecting a consensus pick because it allows voters to express more information on a ballot that is just as simple.

That implies that "IRV eliminates spoilers and gives 3rd parties a chance, but STAR does it better". The truth is "IRV does not eliminate spoilers or give 3rds a chance, but STAR does."

Phil Uhrich

Feb 26, 2018, 11:15:50 PM2/26/18
to The Center for Election Science
So write your own so I don't seem like a one off crank.

Steve Cobb

Feb 27, 2018, 7:31:34 AM2/27/18
to The Center for Election Science
That's quite close to Fargo...

Note that the leadership of CES, FairVote, and Equal Vote agreed not to badmouth each other's preferred voting methods in places with active campaigns running. We all agree that anything is better than the status quo. However, I'm not sure how far that agreement extends (e.g. answering someone's question about a voting method's potential downsides), and to whom (participants in this discussion forum have no formal connection with CES).

On Monday, February 26, 2018 at 8:51:04 PM UTC+1, Phil Uhrich wrote:
I just noticed in the local news that this rich suburb of Minneapolis is potentially planning on switching to RCV (Minneapolis and Saint Paul already have it).
Here is the website detailing the timeline and whatnot:
https://www.stlouispark.org/government/boards-commissions/charter-commission/ranked-choice-voting
They convened a so called 'panel of experts'  https://youtu.be/27mDdwn2yYc

They are set to have a public listening session on 3/6 and then a final vote on 3/13.

I noticed somewhere that they already voted to end primary elections so emphasizing that they aren't necessary is a plus.

"If you would like to submit a written comment to the charter commission, please email Melissa Kennedy"

I did:

Phil Uhrich

Feb 28, 2018, 12:15:21 AM2/28/18
to The Center for Election Science
Ah. First I've heard of that agreement. Then again it's not like I'm formally attached to any group.

Phil Uhrich

Mar 8, 2018, 4:14:44 PM3/8/18
to The Center for Election Science
They had a community feedback session for IRV. The first person speaking against RCV starts at the 32 min mark. https://youtu.be/WcUNPa2e5yc I skimmed through almost all of it and he was the only person against it. :(

It is becoming increasingly obvious that people hate the status quo and will flock to any alternative with the least resistance.

Until IRV backfires very publicly, which it will do eventually, I'm not optimistic.

Has someone with more effective credentials than me tried contacting the kind of magazines that get sent to every state capital and get read by tons of legislative aids? like: http://www.ncsl.org/ and http://www.governing.com/ ?
I would highly recommend focusing on 0-5 STAR and landing on one similar multi winner version (I think harmonic might scare people off making RRV the best choice here). Other things to focus on would be saving tons of $$$ on eliminating primaries since state budgets are always tight and they aren't likely to want to spend big on voter education without being able to cut costs somewhere.

Has anyone reached out to places like Burlington that have repealed IRV?

Clay Shentrup

Mar 9, 2018, 12:06:28 AM3/9/18
On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 1:14:44 PM UTC-8, Phil Uhrich wrote:

It is becoming increasingly obvious that people hate the status quo and will flock to any alternative with the least resistance.

Yes. But I think your general antagonism toward IRV is unproductive. This is a huge country with a lot of room for improvement. As bad as things are now, I think IRV is probably making a modest improvement.

If it does backfire, there's some fear that could hurt reform in general. But I think in this era, there's enough awareness of Approval, Score, and lots of other methods that this would probably help the pitch for those systems, rather than being a mere push back to Plurality.