Why Not Direct Democracy

William Waugh

Dec 26, 2017, 6:53:10 PM12/26/17
to The Center for Election Science
For legislation, why not go all the way and advocate direct democracy? Members of the public could optionally give proxy to trusted others on specific subject matters. I submit that any logistic or technical problems will be soluble by the time the idea of direct democracy gains enough popularity that it becomes politically possible to put it into effect. Note that lots of people use automated teller machines without fear, and those rely on authentication, secure communication and correct transaction processing; the same  accomplishments applied to politics will suffice to tally legislative votes from the whole public.

NoIRV

Dec 26, 2017, 9:32:57 PM12/26/17
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 6:53:10 PM UTC-5, William Waugh wrote:
> For legislation, why not go all the way and advocate direct democracy? Members of the public could optionally give proxy to trusted others on specific subject matters. I submit that any logistic or technical problems will be soluble by the time the idea of direct democracy gains enough popularity that it becomes politically possible to put it into effect. Note that lots of people use automated teller machines without fear, and those rely on authentication, secure communication and correct transaction processing; the same  accomplishments applied to politics will suffice to tally legislative votes from the whole public.

Could work at the state level for smaller states... but this is way less clear than advocating Score Voting .