FairVote FUD on STAR Voting

Clay Shentrup

Dec 5, 2017, 2:22:55 AM12/5/17
to The Center for Election Science
http://www.fairvote.org/explaining_fairvote_s_position_on_star_voting

Explaining FairVote’s position on STAR Voting

POSTED BY DREW SPENCER PENROSEROB RICHIE ON DECEMBER 04, 2017

This year has underscored the value of ranked choice voting (RCV). Nationally, our broken politics demands changes to accommodate greater voter choice and give voters more voice. Each of the four cities using RCV experienced remarkable surges in voter participation, and voters handled the system well. State legislators in 20 states, reflecting a balance of partisan views, have introduced RCV legislation and/or held hearings on it, and voters responded with energy and determination when incumbents tried to slow down its expansion. The Ranked Choice Voting Resource Center is working with those involved in election administrator for efficient, straightforward ways to run RCV elections, with one entire state (New Mexico) now having a “turnkey” solution for running RCV elections with what essentially is the flip of a switch.

FairVote is all the more focused on supporting state allies interested in expanding use of RCV. One of those states is Oregon, where voters in Benton County in 2016 approved enactment of RCV in its general elections for the county commission and where the League of Women Voters of Oregon this year formally endorsed RCV after an exhaustive two year study. RCV makes great sense to use in more cities and counties and as a statewide reform.

Some Oregon reformers are proposing an alternative reform called STAR voting, however. While we don’t want to discourage those seeking to reform our current rules, we won’t support their efforts. Here’s an explanation of the system and the reasons for our skepticism and decision to maintain a neutral position on the idea:

How STAR voting works

With STAR voting, the winner is determined in two steps. First, voters provide a score (that is, a rating), anywhere from 0 to 5 to each candidate. If there are four candidates, for example, one voter might score each candidate with a 5 and award a total of 20 points in scores. Another voter might score each candidate with a zero, and award a total of 0 points in scores. More realistically, voters would indicate a mix of scores with a mix of total points.

Each candidate’s total scores from each voter are totalled. Those totals determine which two candidates advance to an automatic runoff. Each voter’s ballots is then examined to see how the runoff candidates were scored. If one candidate was scored higher than the other, that ballot would count for the higher-rated candidate in the runoff. If the two candidates were scored the same, then the ballot would be set aside and not count in the runoff. The winner is the candidate who receives more votes in the automatic runoff.

Why FairVote does not support STAR voting in governmental elections

We appreciate electoral innovation. Rating systems like STAR voting make sense in some contexts. It is similar to how some Olympic events are scored, for example, and “cardinal” systems more generally can work well in informal settings. But we’re highly skeptical that STAR voting is ready for elections to political office where voters have a real stake in the outcome and usually have a clear preference for one candidate after a competitive campaign. Here are a few concerns we have about the system.

No history of use: The only voting methods that are used to elect a single winner office for any governmental position at any level anywhere in the world:

  1. plurality voting: vote for one, and the top finisher wins;

  2. forms of runoff elections: after a plurality vote in the first round, hold a second round between the top two finishers under certain conditions like no candidate earning more than half the first round vote); and

  3. forms of RCV -- with variations involving what share of the vote is necessary to win without further RCV tallies and how many candidates advance to the next tally after the first count (and a single case of the points-based Borda count, with two seats reserved for ethnic minorities in Slovenia that were uncontested in 2014).

That means STAR voting isn’t used for governmental elections anywhere in the world. Furthermore, unlike RCV -- which is widely used in non-governmental elections as well, and is recommended by Robert’s Rules of Order when repeated voting is impractical --  STAR voting has never been used in a contested election for private organizations. Its trials have involved snapshot polls where there was no campaign.

As a result, there is no data or research as to STAR voting’s effects in practice for competitive elections. But we know its theoretical properties and can make informed projections about how it would likely work in real elections, which raise serious concerns.

Fails the majority criterion and mutual majority criterion: Unlike ranked choice voting, STAR voting doesn't guarantee a candidate with the first choice support of 51% of voters will win. As an example, see this spreadsheet with a not unreasonable example. Failure to elect a candidate who is backed by an absolute majority of voters as a first choice violates fundamental democratic principles.

Failure of the majority criterion implies that STAR voting also fails the mutual majority criterion. That is, it is possible to have two or more candidates in a group be preferred by a majority of voters to all other candidates, yet for none of those candidates to win. Traditional runoff elections can fail this criterion as well, but RCV upholds it.

Easy understanding of how to vote tactically: Unlike RCV, STAR voting doesn't uphold the later-no-harm criterion. Under systems that violate later-no-harm, voters feel pressured to bullet vote, so as to not dilute their vote for their favorite. High-levels of bullet voting would mean the results differ insignificantly from a plurality election.

Voters would also be incentivized to tactically "bury" the strongest runoff candidates -- that is, try to keep the strongest opponent out of the runoff. This gives an edge to those voters who know that fact compared to voters "who vote like the ballot suggests they vote." An example would be an election where there's a clear Condorcet winner, such as the 2017 French presidential election won by Emmanuel Macron.

In that election, five candidates earned between 19% and 25% of the vote in the first round, yet all polls indicated that Macron clearly was the strongest head-to-head. The other candidates' campaigns all knew about Macron's strength against them and would have had every incentive to keep him out of a runoff by elevating a weaker candidate into the runoff instead. With STAR, any backer of the other French presidential candidate (and 76% of voters fit that category), would have been making a mistake to score Macron with any points if they wanted their favorite candidate to have a chance to win, no matter what they actually thought of Macron.

A backer of the leftist Jean-Luc Melenchon, for example, would score Melenchon with a 5 and  score Macron a zero, then score a 4 for the three other candidates who might finish second ahead of Macron. If backers of each of Macron’s four main challengers pursued this tactic, he wouldn’t have come close to making the runoff.

Imagine any election in which a relatively strong incumbent was facing more than one challenger, and suppose the incumbent was likely to be the first choice of 40% of voters, but short of a majority. Backers of the challengers could keep the incumbent out of the runoff by burying him or her with ratings of zero, and giving all other candidates 5’s and 4’s.

Advantage to voters who understand the system: Because tactical voting can work, STAR gives those voters who understand tactical voting an advantage over voters who simply vote honestly. This is highly problematic. All voters who vote as the STAR ballot suggests are likely voting differently than voters who understand the system and, as a result, may hurt the interests of their favorite candidates.

In contrast, all voters who vote as the RCV ballots suggests are almost certainly voting just the same as as fully informed voters, and won’t hurt the interests of their favorite candidate. While it is true that that there post-election analysts could suggest different tactics, those are almost never going to affect what voters do in elections -- and that’s what matters for avoiding tactical voting.

Tactics exaggerate undemocratic outcomesUnlike RCV, the tactical incentives associated with STAR Voting would directly lead to undemocratic outcomes. Nullifying runoff ballots would be common due to voters scoring the two runoff candidates the same for tactical reasons. The Melenchon voter above has essentially nullified his/her ballot if neither Melenchon nor Macron make the runoff. While it was perfectly logical to cast a ballot with 4’s for those other candidates to try to keep Macron out of the runoff, but now they aren’t differentiated. Scores of zero for the two runoff candidates would also nullify their runoff ballot -- even if those scores would makes sense if trying to keep both those candidates out of the runoff election..

Inconsistent translation of preferences into scores: Unlike RCV, STAR Voting doesn't factor in the fact that ratings are subjective in how they translate into points. Any score system will results in different voters with the exact same views giving differing numbers of points to candidates. It will relates to whether a voter is a "hard grader" or an "easy grader" and based on awareness of tactical incentives. So two voters might feel exactly the same way about Macron, but one voter might score him a 3 on a scale of 0 to 5 when giving an "honest grade" due to being a hard grader and the other might score him a 5 due to being an easy grader. This is related to why Youtube abandoned its 5-star scoring system, followed later by Netflix replacing its similar scoring system with a  “thumbs up” or “thumbs down” approach: that is, the ratings were resulting in inconsistent outcomes that could be confusing to potential viewers of a video or movie.

Less likely to elect “beats all” Condorcet winner: Just like RCV and runoff systems, STAR voting doesn't guarantee the election of the “Condorcet winner” - the candidate who would defeat all other candidates if paired head-to-head. But due to the incentives to "bury" strong candidates, it’s much more likely that Condorcet winners would lose. Yet pairwise comparisons are built into the reporting of the system, meaning it will showcase immediately when the Condorcet candidate has lost in actual scores.

Conclusion

FairVote is not sectarian or inflexible in only supporting one model of reform. That’s why we are willing in context to support compromise forms of RCV, such as limiting the tally to a second round where only the top two finishers in first choices advance. That’s why we are open to combine RCV with other approaches -- like adapting the “Top Two primary” to one where four candidates advance from a primary held with RCV to a second round where RCV is used to pick the winner

But STAR voting is a distraction that we don’t see as politically viable nor likely to work like its advocates believe. Rather than explore a weaker system with questionable viability, we will keep working with Oregon allies who support using and expanding use of RCV.

Toby Pereira

Dec 8, 2017, 2:40:39 PM12/8/17
to The Center for Election Science
With the majority criterion, you could just have a rule that says if there is a candidate that is uniquely top on an outright majority of ballots, then they are elected. Otherwise proceed as normal. I can't see it causing anything more than a negligible loss in utility (it could even gain), and it might eliminate some criticisms. More generally, if there is a mutual majority, you could eliminate all candidates not in it, and then proceed.

By the way, I'm not sure if this has come up previously, but I'm not sure that Star voting is a very good name. It could be confusing because we have star rating systems for films, and on shopping websites such as Amazon, and people might think it's that.

Toby

NoIRV

Dec 8, 2017, 8:04:56 PM12/8/17
to The Center for Election Science
We should call Rob Richie on his personal voice and try to convince him that IRV is a joke and a lie and a poisonous evil drug. But we start with an innocuous-seeming question like "I read your stuff about IRV, but I hear that Australia has elected zero third party seats to their House of Representatives for over eight decades. So I am not convinced. Can you explain more?"

He might realize that we are from the CES, but if we do it carefully enough it might take a while, as long as he does not commit too many logical fallacies too soon.

Steve Cobb

Dec 9, 2017, 8:09:32 AM12/9/17
to The Center for Election Science
Certainly, if we are losers. What would a real competitor do?

Clay Shentrup

Dec 9, 2017, 1:16:47 PM12/9/17
to The Center for Election Science
Trying to communicate with Rob Richie is a laughable idea. I reached out to him in 2006 when I first got involved with Warren's discussion group. Almost immediately it felt like talking to a crazy person. No evidence could sway him on anything. He cannot be reasoned with. His mind is made up and you will not convince him with data.

NoIRV

Dec 9, 2017, 6:31:20 PM12/9/17
to The Center for Election Science
The only reason I suggested trying to reason with himis that if it worked and FairVote converted to a Score Voting advocacy group, its popularity and attention would help our cause.

Any more reasonable suggestions?

Clay Shentrup

Dec 9, 2017, 6:39:06 PM12/9/17
On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 3:31:20 PM UTC-8, NoIRV wrote:
if it worked and FairVote converted to a Score Voting advocacy group...

Never. Gonna. Happen. Like, hell will freeze over before this happens.

NoIRV

Dec 9, 2017, 11:17:22 PM12/9/17
On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 6:39:06 PM UTC-5, Clay Shentrup wrote:
> On Saturday, December 9, 2017 at 3:31:20 PM UTC-8, NoIRV wrote:if it worked and FairVote converted to a Score Voting advocacy group...
>

> Never. Gonna. Happen. Like, hell will freeze over before this happens.

Then we need to write editorials and do more outreach. The success of UnfairVote is due to their ability to convince the public. Therefore we need to strike back and publish articles using simple facts, plain arguments, and common sense but about Score Voting, not IRV.

I think the best thing to do is a city test, like how IRV was "tested" in Burlington and San Francisco.

Clay Shentrup

Dec 10, 2017, 2:11:54 AM12/10/17
to The Center for Election Science
I think the main issue is that FairVote just got there first and promoted a reform that already had a foot hold. Then they got the bassist for Nirvana on their board, and got to a certain point where a snowball effect happened. And on top of all that, voting methods are highly counterintuitive. My first email to Warren Smith was basically to tell him how absurd his Score Voting proposal was, because "everyone would bullet vote". Yeah, me. Cringe.

We've been writing stuff for years, e.g. this article which I convinced Matt Gonzalez (Nader's former running mate) to host on his personal blog:

It's just not viral enough. It's too esoteric. It's like climate change policy only about some ethereal idea of "utility" instead of a tangible concept like "temperature".

I think the best strategy probably is just going the ballot initiative route like the STAR Voting team in Oregon, or the Fargo Approval Voting campaign. I think if you write articles, no one is going to read them. They're just going to say, "Well, I saw that this IRV thing actually has legs."

Brian Olson

Dec 10, 2017, 11:28:12 AM12/10/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I want to take 'Ranked Choice Voting' and run with it. That's a perfectly generic description of the ballot. It says nothing about how the ballot is counted. Great, we can now swap out the 'back end' for Condorcet or anything else. FairVote can even save face. Everybody wins.

Steve Cobb

Dec 10, 2017, 11:59:32 AM12/10/17
to The Center for Election Science
FairVote is a competent, effective organization; so far we have not been. Talk of "converting" FairVote or "striking back" makes me cringe. This is at best juvenile fantasy, at worst like that incident between Olympic skaters Nancy Kerrigan and Tonya Harding. You don't beat a competitor by whining at them or striking back--you become competent, work hard, and outcompete them. Anything else is self-humiliation. This forum seems to be mostly male, so let me say that the mentality seems pretty beta.

I sense that people here have little experience in successful movements or advocacy organizations, so we hear suggestions of specific tactics rather than strategy. Yes, writing articles and targeting a city are great ideas, but we need to organize a movement. The idea could be viral if packaged and promoted properly, but it requires a combination of skills that in this community are largely lacking. There are lots of parallels with the startup world. If a movement is too much, OK, focus on a smaller project, but commit to making it a success.

Lonán Dubh

Dec 10, 2017, 12:16:25 PM12/10/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
The concern I have with anything Ranked is that every ordinal voting method I'm aware of suffers from Favorite Betrayal, which I believe is the driving force behind Duverger's Law.
As such, I worry that any ordinal voting method will still result in negative campaigning ("vote for me to stop the evil"), and continue the self fulfilling "I'd vote for them, but they can't win" scenario that contributes to voter despair and apathy.
Other voting criteria are significant, but... I think that FB is among the most harmful.

William Waugh

Dec 10, 2017, 8:40:15 PM12/10/17
to The Center for Election Science
How about Balanced Elimination Voting? It's multiround, like IRV, and voters who want to vote in IRV style can (more or less). Every vote has an antivote (unlike IRV). Voters who like Approval style can vote in Approval style should they so choose.

I have described versions with various simplifications, e. g. Approval-style within a rank vs. full Score in that context.

The full-blown idea is like so:

(I know that the usual convention is to describe the ballot before the tally, but I think I have a good reason to reverse that this time).

The tally proceeds in rounds, where each round eliminates the worst candidate. The last candidate standing wins. This is a single-winner system.

Each round examines the ballots. Each ballot consists of any number of sections (which could be called ranks). Each section or rank, through the use of some grammar depending on the variant of the system in use, implies a predicate function that applied to the list of candidates not yet eliminated in prior rounds, results in a yes or a no. The rank nearest the top of the ballot whose predicate evaluates to yes is the one considered by the round.

Each rank on a ballot contains or implies a "tail", which in its full glory, would be a Score ballot.

The round of tallying eliminates the candidate receiving the lowest total score.

Note that this system (in any of its variants) allows the voter to decide whether it is more important at first to eliminate the worst candidate or to support the best candidate. Or the voter could throw everything into opposition to a couple of bad candidates, or support of a couple of good ones, etc. In any event, when the voter's effect on the successive rounds of tallying has been exhausted for whatever the voter values most, the voter's later ranks can instruct for some compromise influence. So it's possible to support for example, whoever you regard as the lesser evil, after your favorite candidate has been eliminated despite the full weight of your political power having been used to favor that candidate for as long as possible. This contrasts with Score Voting, in which if you provide any even partial support for Lesser Evil, you have to dilute your support for your favorite.

Mark Frohnmayer

Dec 10, 2017, 9:35:45 PM12/10/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for forwarding on the link, Clay.

The article's main points seem to be that:

1. IRV is dope, so why bother doing anything new?
2. STAR Voting has never been tried, so why bother doing anything new?
3. STAR Voting starts with Scoring (yes, that's the S in STAR), and we have written things about Approval voting and bullet voting (that don't apply to STAR)
4. French people would have "buried" Macron. (No, they wouldn't have, because that's a dumb strategy in STAR - like arguing that Clinton voters would have STARred Trump over Sanders).

In other news, we now have two active STAR Voting campaigns running in Oregon in the two largest population centers in the state.

Clay Shentrup

Dec 10, 2017, 9:57:09 PM12/10/17
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 6:35:45 PM UTC-8, Mark Frohnmayer wrote:
In other news, we now have two active STAR Voting campaigns running in Oregon in the two largest population centers in the state.

I.e. stop arguing, and organize.

Mark Frohnmayer

Dec 10, 2017, 10:24:08 PM12/10/17
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Well, argue all you like. But also get some ballot measures rolling. We have links to the legal texts from http://www.equal.vote/campaigns -- the cool thing is that because of the runoff, it folds right into charters that have plurality language - i.e. "the highest number of votes cast". This makes for really short and easily understood amendments.

Toby Pereira

Dec 12, 2017, 7:19:52 AM12/12/17
to The Center for Election Science
Anyway, I think STAR + Mutual Majority is a keeper. It would change the result so rarely, and could ward off a lot of criticisms of score-type systems generally.