Public Software Licensing

Aaron Hamlin

Mar 31, 2015, 12:03:46 PM3/31/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
I recently had the pleasure of corresponding with Richard Stallman, the person who coined the copyleft term. When mentioning our software project, he mentioned that perhaps we should consider something other than BSD-2. Instead, he preferred GNU GPL v3. He said BSD-2 was not in fact copyleft. He's right, of course.

I know we have lots of people that think about this here. Any thoughts?

Jameson Quinn

Apr 2, 2015, 9:27:37 PM4/2/15
to electionsciencefoundation
Richard Stallman, or rms as people call him, is known in software circles as a bit of a character. Many respect him, but he's pretty much the prototype for one extreme of free software ideology; so if you always followed his advice, that would make you more of a purist than even 95% of the people who help write free software.

Basically, I'm trying to find a nice way to say that I disagree with him. We don't want something that's copyleft (that is, something which virally infects any code it touches); we want permissive.

Jameson

I recently had the pleasure of corresponding with Richard Stallman, the person who coined the copyleft term. When mentioning our software project, he mentioned that perhaps we should consider something other than BSD-2. Instead, he preferred GNU GPL v3. He said BSD-2 was not in fact copyleft. He's right, of course.

I know we have lots of people that think about this here. Any thoughts?

Steve Cobb

Apr 3, 2015, 10:50:01 AM4/3/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Here is a nice alternative:

On Thursday, April 2, 2015 at 6:27:37 PM UTC-7, Jameson Quinn wrote:
Richard Stallman, or rms as people call him, is known in software circles as a bit of a character. Many respect him, but he's pretty much the prototype for one extreme of free software ideology; so if you always followed his advice, that would make you more of a purist than even 95% of the people who help write free software.

Basically, I'm trying to find a nice way to say that I disagree with him. We don't want something that's copyleft (that is, something which virally infects any code it touches); we want permissive.

Jameson

Clay Shentrup

Apr 3, 2015, 3:53:50 PM4/3/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com