Britain 2015 election: very disproportional

Warren D Smith

May 9, 2015, 8:58:27 PM5/9/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com

Toby Pereira

May 10, 2015, 5:57:59 PM5/10/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Interesting article. I think Nigel Farage actually stood down specifically because he didn't win his seat in South Thanet rather than because of the overall result - he said he would do so in advance of the election. I am very much in favour of proportional representation in the UK, but would probably prefer a system similar to Jameson Quinn's PAL where you can choose to vote for someone locally on your ballot paper or anyone nationally by writing their name in. The candidates have their own predeclared rankings of the other candidates and it works like an STV election with one super-constituency. (Alternatively the candidates could give scores to the other candidates and we could have a proportional score election.)

I actually stood in this election as an independent candidate in the Braintree constituency. It's difficult to persuade people to vote for independents even when they moan about the parties, but I still beat one of the parties. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000590

On Sunday, 10 May 2015 01:58:27 UTC+1, Warren D. Smith (CRV cofounder, http://RangeVoting.org) wrote:
http://RangeVoting.org/UK2015.html

Warren D Smith

May 10, 2015, 6:05:21 PM5/10/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Do you know who the only independent to win an MP seat, was?

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking

Toby Pereira