Lawrence Lessig finally realizing that systemic change is fundamental

Clay Shentrup

Aug 21, 2015, 12:41:40 AM8/21/15
to The Center for Election Science
The 2nd of his three pillars is proportional representation.

I suspect FairVote got to him. At least they got him a heck of a lot closer to the solution than he was before, when he was talking about the need to "get money out of politics".

Although, his plan will obviously never work.

Rob Wilson

Aug 21, 2015, 1:08:13 AM8/21/15
to The Center for Election Science

His referendum President idea would actually be a good idea if we had approval voting. In the current setting, all he is going to do is siphon off votes from Bernie and help Hilary win. TYTinterviews just a put out an interview with him(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45J85c5vCI) and I left a comment saying this.

Clay Shentrup

Aug 21, 2015, 1:25:00 AM8/21/15
to The Center for Election Science
A huge irony is that his "Vote for VP" option uses Plurality Voting.

Facepalm.

Barry Rafkind

Sep 4, 2015, 10:39:50 PM9/4/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
Agreed. FYI, we can advocate for another voting system (Score Voting!) on Lessig's tech Google group.

I just posted Vote for VP page uses awful vote-for-one plurality voting where I advocate for Score Voting or, at least, Approval Voting like they use on the One Mission page.

Also, see Aaron Lifshin's post Team Lessig Tech: jump in! in which he says "We have created a slack channel for the techteam volunteers.  Please let us know if you want an invite to chat with others reals-time." I've also raised the issue of switching to Score Voting there.

Thoughts?

Clay Shentrup

Sep 7, 2015, 1:00:53 PM9/7/15
to The Center for Election Science
Oh yes, FairVote has definitely corrupted him.

Warren D Smith

Sep 7, 2015, 1:26:37 PM9/7/15
to electio...@googlegroups.com
far as I know, Lessig now running for POTUS

On 9/7/15, Clay Shentrup <cl...@electology.org> wrote:
> Oh yes, FairVote has definitely corrupted him.
>
> <https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-ohllDsVAGjM/Ve3Csh5gPTI/AAAAAAAAAJ8/oWvTMH0KVyI/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2015-09-07%2Bat%2B9.59.25%2BAM.png>
>
> --

Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking
"endorse" as 1st step)

Clay Shentrup

Sep 7, 2015, 6:01:20 PM9/7/15
On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 10:26:37 AM UTC-7, Warren D. Smith (CRV cofounder, http://RangeVoting.org) wrote:
far as I know, Lessig now running for POTUS

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/video/larry-lessig-announces-running-president-33569612

Even if his thoughts are polluted with FairVote nonsense, he's still a heck of a lot closer to getting it than anyone else who could get an interview with George Stephanopoulos.
Heartening.

Clay Shentrup

Sep 7, 2015, 6:05:29 PM9/7/15
to The Center for Election Science
On Monday, September 7, 2015 at 3:01:20 PM UTC-7, Clay Shentrup wrote:

Stephanopoulos finishes by congratulating Lessig on raising 1M$, then smugly saying, "We'll see if you hit 1% in the polls after the debates." Eyeroll.