Additional keyboards planned - Bamini/typewriter(new)

Muguntharaj Subramanian

Apr 8, 2010, 6:44:20 PM4/8/10
to ekal...@googlegroups.com
Vanakkam,
I got few requests to add Bamini and Typewritter(new) keyboards.

So thought it would be good to add them in Beta 2 and then work on external keyboard file support.

I request members who use these keyboards to prepare a chart (with keystroke for each tamil character) for these two keyboards and send it. We can keep that as reference for creating the keyboards.

Arunan,
Pls try creating 2 new logos for Bamini & Typewriter layouts.

Regards,
Mugunth

--
Blog: http://mugunth.blogspot.com
Follow me @ http://twitter.com/mugunth

கா. சேது | කා. සේතු | K. Sethu

Apr 8, 2010, 11:24:54 PM4/8/10
to ekal...@googlegroups.com
Mugunth

During this weekend I am in the process of tabulating Bamini and
Baamini to Unicode conversions requested by a another person. And I
could pitch in for Bamini keystrokes based keymap for eKalappai.

I assume you mean Bamini keystrokes for Unicode output.

Then the naming should not be Bamini because unlike, say tamil99, the
name is also for the Font and and it is also used to mean the encoding
(that is, the codepoints in ASCII range used in Bamini and Baamini
fonts). For a bamini-to-unicode keymap we could name as Bamuni as used
by Suratha, if we replicate as per Suratha's original keymap written
for earlier eKalappai versions (sans some bugs in them).

However, in case of all the keymaps we make for Unicode, I also wish
to point out that (and discuss more later) we need to include newer
additions to Unicode (provisions for SHA and ligature definition
change for SHRII). Further there can be some variations from standard
for better practical use (the practice of assigning Aytham to "f"
except for the case of it coming next to akara-uyirmei is one example
); inclusion of keys for Tamil numerals and symbols not included in
standard. Then there has to be provisions for writing க்ஷ in split
form as க்‌ஷ (which is obtained using ZWNJ : 200C between க் and ஷ ).
I will write more on this separately.

~Sethu

கா. சேது | කා. සේතු | K. Sethu

Apr 8, 2010, 11:37:53 PM4/8/10
to ekal...@googlegroups.com
I missed to add in the key point I wished to stress. Since for
different reasons (some necessary, some for practical reasons) we vary
with "standards" of the different keymaps, it is mort appropriate that
we indicate in name itself. i.e. for e.g. "tamil99-ext", or
"tamil-99-var" and so on.

~Sethu