EiffelBuild Tips Window dropping last word of each line

Stephen Smith

Apr 6, 2019, 12:37:31 PM4/6/19
to Eiffel Users
Hi All,

Playing with EiffelBuild, and at first I thought the text in the Tip of the Day window had typos. But when I slowly resize the window, the text reflows, revealing previously hidden words, and hiding new ones.

No matter what size you make the window, the last word in each line is dropped from the display.

Using EiffelBuild 18.11.10.2592 GPL on Windows10.

Regards,
Stephen.

Larry Rix

Apr 6, 2019, 8:36:57 PM4/6/19
to Eiffel Users
I am unaware of anyone using EiffelBuild for production.

It does not seem to be an issue with EiffelBuild, but with Visual Builders in general.

The perform poorly in several ways:

  • Difficult to integrate custom visual classes.
  • Impossible to show deterministic complex visual changes in behavior.
  • Difficult to integrate into regression or unit testing, which is critical to modern development.
Based on this, I've only ever seen EB used in casual passing and never for serious production development projects.

r...@amalasoft.com

Apr 7, 2019, 8:01:23 AM4/7/19
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
I've used EiffelBuild quite a bit over the years, though not for an _end_product_.  I have developed a library that works with what EiffelBuild creates, allowing me to bootstrap projects with EiffelBuild, and even make some GUI changes (using EiffelBuild) after incorporating almost entirely custom code and classes, BUT the end product is not what comes out of EiffelBuild.  The EiffelBuild parts remain prototypical (in my projects), but still compatible, so I can continue to use EiffelBuild for experimenting with new layouts and such.  In the more production-oriented code, I simply remove the non-production elements during the initialization sequence.
I find EiffelBuild to be a very helpful tool, especially for early prototyping, though it can be a little quirky at times.
Speaking of handy-yet-quirky, please let me thank whoever came up with eimgemb.  It has its issues, but what a lifesaver when dealing with non-trivial pixmaps (I have a code-generated pixmap class for simple ones).

Larry Rix

Apr 9, 2019, 10:40:03 AM4/9/19
to Eiffel Users
R! Now, this is an interesting post. I was unaware anyone had taken EiffelBuild seriously. Good for you!

r...@amalasoft.com

Apr 9, 2019, 11:00:22 AM4/9/19
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Larry.  Does it help make up for my idiot-fest on missing libraries?  :)
I did have to do a fair amount up front to make it work with my custom vision classes, but by doing that, I ended up with a handy-dandy and relatively painless process.
The key element is to have a kind of template for a customizable project that uses ebuild.
There is a separate .ecf file for the actual project (vs the build_project*.ecf).  The vision2_application class is ignored, and replaced with my own application_root class.  My template comes with a new main_window.e that still inherits main_window_imp, but is otherwise custom.
There's not much more to it than that, other than the stuff that's strictly custom.  Ebuild doesn't realize I've hijacked it's output.
Once that's in place, then the main_window.e can be as custom as you'd like, and you can hand-build stuff into it, or take what ebuild gives you (from the generated main_window_imp class), and/or remove stuff that ebuild put in.
It makes whipping up gui gizmos more fun (though I don't actually _do_ fun; I know people who do)

Apr 9, 2019, 12:39:11 PM4/9/19
to eiffel...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Larry; I couldn't agree more.
Apr 9, 2019, 1:25:48 PM4/9/19
to Eiffel Users
The issue isn't with EiffelBuild, but the tool tip window that is part of EiffelBuild. I agree with your points on visual builders in general though.

The bug in the Tip of the Day dialog doesn't affect the usability of the tool in any way. It just gives a bad first impression - makes one think there are errors in the help text, which is actually not the case, as you see when you expand the dialog box.

Probably not high on the priority list since it sounds like not many people actually use it? But thought I would report it nonetheless.